to know you is to know you

[ Completed: 12/25/22 ]

Prompt: Upon returning to his home college, Rocky finds himself having a rerun with a familiar face who seems hellbent on keeping distance from him—he's not exactly sure why.
~
Song Inspo(s): Not A Bad Thing - Justin Timberlake; Breaking My Heart (Pretty Brown Eyes) - Mint Condition; Honesty - Pink Sweat$; Potential - Summer Walker; Dangerous - Meek Mill (ft. Jeremih & PnB Rock)
~
It was refreshing to be back at JSU, certain things had of course changed with time, but it wasn't anything Rocky was unfamiliar with. New events, new students, new teammates, all expected. What had remained kept his nostalgic mind satisfied, like the athletics announcer and the spacious layout of the apartment rooms.

And it seemed not every face was a new one, either.

The night before classes were expected to start, Rocky found himself restless. Taking a ride on his scooter through campus usually helped to calm his thoughts. It was peaceful doing a task as such, being able to bathe in the quiet of it all, the only sound present being creatures reveling in nightlife. The young athlete often liked to multitask when scootering in empty spaces, looking up and back and around him at the empty food court and twinkling sky. Everything was serene, magnificent in its own right.

Then he ran smack into an oncoming scooter.

It was an electric, much bigger than his own kickstart. Rocky was barely recovering with a stabbing sensation in his shoulder when he caught a glimpse of the culprit behind the attack. The stranger didn't look so much better themselves from the way they laid on their back. It wasn't until they sat up that he realized the individual was a girl—a vaguely familiar girl.

Her dark curls flew with the breeze that passed, but it seemed to only worsen the expression on her face. It took Rocky a moment to stop trying to recall where he'd seen her to realize she was in pain. Immediately, he was on his feet and stretching out his hands. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm alright." The stranger's eyes were squeezed shut as she rubbed her left arm, most likely the one that took the most impact upon her landing. When she opened her eyes and met his gaze, immediately he knew she recognized him. It was in the way her face dropped the slightest then shifted to her lap. The reaction he found confusing.

She didn't take the young athlete's hand and instead pushed herself up; Rocky didn't miss the way her eyebrows scrunched together in discomfort. As the stranger brushed off her jeans and sweater, she spoke. "I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking in front of me on the scooter and I just assumed the pathway was clear because I didn't hear anyone. Are you hurt?"

Her words rushed by so quickly he couldn't help but tilt his head. "I don't think I caught what you said after 'I'm sorry'. Could you repeat it please?"

By now the young girl had her attention on him, the injured arm still being cradled. "Sorry, I just asked if you were hurt." Her tone was leveled and seemed to dismiss the fact that she just ran into someone and potentially caused herself serious damage. Odd, he thought.

"I'm fine, but I think I should be asking if you're hurt."

"Uh, just a minor hit but I think I'll be okay." Her eyes ran a hasty inspection over his probably now wrinkled clothing, presumably looking for physical injuries.

Rocky watched her movements, unwilling to give up on the peculiar familiarity of the young woman. It was clear from her own expressions that she knew him, too, but he was unsure why she didn't approach him in that manner. He chose not to press further on it. "What are you doing out this late?"

"Just needed fresh air," she answered with the same leveled tone, peering around at the empty food court. "And I'm up right now, didn't wanna stay in my room, though I probably should have considering all this." Her hand gestured between them both, and in that brief second Rocky could see scratches on her palm with tones of dark pink and red.