supporting @ the game

[ COMPLETED: 05/09/22 ]

"Ms. T, you'll be at tonight's game, right?"

I rolled my eyes and chuckled as my afro haired student sauntered into the room. "So soon you're asking, Isaiah?"

"Uh, yeah," was his matter-of-fact response. "We had a deal if I got my GPA up to a 3.0 you would come and watch one of my games!"

I closed out on the last of my teacher duties for the day, then turned to Isaiah. Tucked under one arm was a basketball with a folded paper in his clutch. His duffel bag sat atop one of my desks along with a backpack I guessed also belonged to him. Seeing how he was rocking back and forth on his heels, I knew he'd been looking forward to this moment.

"Lemme see 'em." Isaiah handed me the folded paper and gave me time to unravel its contents. "Wow, a 3.3? You've gone beyond the expectation."

"Well, y'know I gotta show out Ms. T," he smiled with an odd gesture that was probably meant to uplift himself.

"You're lucky this is a home game, otherwise you would've owed me gas money," I chuckled as I began packing up and grabbing my keys. "It'll be here at 6pm, right?"

"Right. I'll see you then, Ms. T!" Isaiah took off dribbling his basketball, the sound echoing through the hallway. I shook my head and scanned the classroom once more before locking up.

Isaiah was a transfer student late last year from across the country. My class became his safe zone, and I loved being able to assist him in academics or be an open ear. Isaiah usually joined me during lunches to update me on what was going on with his life in and out of school, much of which had me cracking up. I eventually learned about his love for basketball and how he'd just recently made varsity for the school; ever since, he would constantly ask me to attend the games. "You'll regret not supporting me before I make it to the NBA" would be the go-to phrase as a means of guilt tripping me.

It wasn't that I didn't want to go, but adulting had its downsides. I was still a full time teacher  working with almost two hundred students creating lesson plans, grading assignments then figuring out methods that would actually work best for the classroom. Then, I was attending after school meetings every two weeks that carried on much longer than needed. I also had church commitments as well as my own leisure time to consider. But I loved my job, and if it meant a lot to a student that I attend their game in exchange for good grades, who was I to say no?

~

I pulled into the parking lot finding it more filled than usual. Must be a big game going on. I used my car windows to examine and adjust my hair and outfit. Considering this was still a school environment I would be in, I settled for a slightly fitted graphic tee and black mom jeans. My yellow Vans went with the tee's design, along with my white handbag. Hopefully, it wasn't too hot inside since I chose to wear my curls out, but I had a hair tie if worse came to worse. From where I stood I could hear the music blaring from the gym, then a few whistles beginning to go off.

After adjusting my jewelry, I wasted no more time and treaded into the school gates. One thing I was happy about when it came to sporting events on campus was that teachers didn't pay to get in. It was the least admin could do for staff considering how disorganized and shady their own systems could be. That was a different conversation, however.

I walked in and quickly found an open space at a corner closer to the floor, perfect for me. Close to the exit, the concession stand and the bathroom. Plus, I didn't have to awkwardly push past people if I needed to go anywhere.

"Ms. T!" My ears perked up at hearing a high pitched voice. I felt the shaking of the bleachers before a hand latched onto my shoulder. "I didn't know you were coming to the game."