55

Chapter 55 - Who's Helping Whom?

“I will say it again. I passed the test. This is the genuine work of Gardio von Laverbaum.”

People were astonished at the sight unfolding before their eyes.

In particular, Orlando seemed to have forgotten to speak and could only gape.

It was inevitable.

‘Another painting in the painting?’

In the original painting, a gorgeous, elegant noblewoman with black pearls was lying in bed. But now it had become a completely different painting.

Everyone’s reactions were only natural.

“Su… such an explicit painting!”

“There is no way a decadent painting like that belongs to Laverbaum! How could he…”

The new painting revealed a naked lady without a single thread on her body. It also seemed like she was seducing the artist to make love in a suggestive way. 

The shocked nobles were speechless.

“Wh, what a prostitute…!”

It must have been quite a shock, but seeing the bewildered people, Ian smiled inwardly.

‘Everyone doesn’t know Laverbaum’s true face. Well, it’s unknown at this time.’

Gardio von Laverbaum was famous for his elegance and aloofness. However, he had a pretty sleazy life when he was young. Of course, it became known later when his memoirs were discovered.

‘Was he a count? He had a secret relationship with a marquis’ woman.’

The interesting thing apart from its content was that the moment this painting was revealed, the history of art would change significantly.

At the same time, Florence, known as a forger, was actually a disciple of Laverbaum. 

He made money from his replica works, finding and repainting the past paintings of his teacher. All to protect his teacher’s honor.

‘Of course, I don’t think Laverbaum himself cared.’ 

But Florence thought differently. Still, he couldn’t get rid of it as it was his teacher’s work, so all he had to do was paint it over with a special chemical.

‘Seeing that he insisted it’s his own painting, Florence must be worried that the truth of the painting will be revealed and his teacher’s disgrace will be exposed.’

He might be going to cover it all by himself. 

But Ian didn’t bother to explain it to that extent. 

Instead, he told the nobles who looked at him with strange faces.

“You don’t have to look at me as if seeing a ghost. It’s just that I’ve met Laverbaum in person in the past.”