But time has passed since he first started his walking exercises... and both Dr. Aguilar and Dr. James have a surprise for him.

"Alright Dick, one more time, before the doctor gets here."

He was doing much better, and got across within a few minutes, just needed a quick rest along the way. And aside from the increased muscle in his legs, his progress is also thanks to his progress in the upper body. It's given him more energy and strength to keep himself upright.

He took the last step and grabbed Bruce's arm, a relaxed grin gracing his lips while Wally smiled himself on the other side.

"Well done."

Dick smiled up at his father as Bruce helped him sit carefully once more in the wheelchair again. Just as both his doctors came in.

Unlike last time they came bearing 'gifts' Dick's eyes didn't turn dark.

They lit up.

They were forearm crutches. Made specially for him, they will be perfect in his grip and comfortable. They weren't bad to look at either, all things considered. Sleek black with a navy blue stripe going down the whole thing.

These will give him more mobility and freedom, not to mention some of his dignity back.

James and Aguilar stopped in front of him, leveling the crutches down to his eye level, smiles never vanishing from their faces.

"So, what do you think?"

Dick was silent as he closely examined them and then found himself breaking out into a grin.

"Let me try them out!"

Laughter echoed around the room and Wally was quick to give him a hand.

After Dr. Aguilar instructed him on how to attach them, and making sure they were stable, Dick took a tentative step.

He paused for a moment, hesitation creeping back, he glanced up at Bruce as if unsure what to do.

"It's alright Dick, keep going."

Dick glanced down at the handles and took a shaky breath in before straightening out his back so that he was standing straight for what seemed like the first time in... forever. And he took one more small step forward, towards the others.

He didn't shake or stumble... he actually felt in control and steady on his feet. His smile started to come back as he took another step. This time a small laugh of relief came from his mouth, his steps being more fluid.

Bruce watched with a proud, and equally relieved, smile on his face as his son seemed to easily make his way over to him with a smile on his face.

Perhaps it was time for some fresh air...

And as Dick made his way to Bruce's side, he said just that.

"Well, Dick, how about a walk outside? Alfred was preparing a lunch out in the gardens, Tim and Barbara are likely already out there."

Dick paused for a moment as he watched his two doctors gather their things as they made to go with them and turned to look back at Bruce and Wally.

"Sounds... asterous."

Wally nearly hit the floor laughing.

——————————————————————

The first thing Dick felt as he came onto the deck was the warm sunshine on his face and the light breeze ruffling his hair. The smell of fresh air and daffodils, the birds singing a gentle song...

Dick closed his eyes for a moment to savor it before opening them once again as the smell of hamburgers and hotdogs filled his nose.

'Alfred rarely ever grills out like this...'

As he looked over to the porch area he tried to sear this memory into his brain. The porch area was set up for a grand picnic. Pitchers of water and lemonade, hotdogs and hamburgers were being grilled as corn on the cob waited on a plate nearby. Dick's favorite cookies were in a basket next to the blaring radio and Tim and Barbara were sitting at the shaded umbrella table, talking and trying to keep Zitka out from under Alfred's legs as he cooked.

After everything Dick has been through, this was paradise to him.

Bruce made a gesture for Dick to go first, himself and Wally right behind him, and he carefully made his way down the ramp, eagerly making his way to the picnic.

Zitka noticed him first and happily yipped a greeting, prompting Tim and Barbara to look up and notice him, happy and relieved looks gracing their features. Alfred merely looked up with a pleased smile then returned his attention to his task, humming happily to himself.

Once Dick made his way to the table he easily sat himself down, Barbara immediately handing him a glass of lemonade and Tim handing him a cookie. Once Bruce and Wally sat down, Alfred was finally ready to serve the rest of the food, everyone taking all they wanted.

For the first time in a while, Dick finally managed a pure smile and laugh.

He felt like his old self again.

——————————————————————

You know... when I first started writing this book I honestly wasn't sure if it was going to go anywhere. Huh.