three

DREA DIDN'T SEE MUCH OF FINNICK FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, except for in passing like usual— glimpses of each other in the hallways of Capitol buildings, gazes caught across the waves during midnight swims, when it seems neither of them can sleep

DREA DIDN'T SEE MUCH OF FINNICK FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, except for in passing like usual— glimpses of each other in the hallways of Capitol buildings, gazes caught across the waves during midnight swims, when it seems neither of them can sleep. Most times they don't talk, but there's something there, in those meaningful glances, an understanding of sorts that makes it so there's no need for words spoken.

Drea found herself thinking of Finnick as she walked back from the boatyard, after handing out the Victor's great excess of food to the community again. She was only wishing that she had someone to talk to during the walk back— Annie had just laid down for a nap when Drea left, and Finnick was not in his house when she passed. She wondered if he'd had to go back for another Capitol visit sooner than she did. But when she thought about having to return to the Capitol soon, at Snow's wish, it made her skin prickle with dread, so she tried not to think about it.

Unlike the last time she'd made this trek, Drea was not returning empty handed. She'd bought as much seafood as she could carry from Birdie, as a thank you for helping the children sell the bracelet Drea had given them last week. She didn't really need all the seafood— the Capitol of course had their houses stocked full— but Birdie wouldn't accept simple charity and Drea still wanted to support the community somehow. So if it meant having crawfish stew for dinner for the next week... so be it.

When Drea walked into her and Annie's home, she was stunned to see Annie already awake, standing on one side of the kitchen counter and talking to...

"Finnick?" Drea frowned; they must have just missed each other. "What are you doing here?"

He leaned on the other side of the counter and gave Drea that charming grin of his when she walked in.

Annie smiled, too. "He came by to tell us about the mandatory program tonight," she explained, clearing a space on the counter for Drea to place her sack of food for dinner that night.

Finnick nodded and leaned on the counter. "7:30 tonight. Probably just wedding details for Miss Everdeen..." He said the last bit in a posh accent.

Drea snorted slightly and began to unpack the things she'd bought, while Annie swooned. "Oh, she's just beautiful, don't you think?" she said dreamily, mindlessly helping Drea put the food away.

"When she's not glowering, sure," Finnick muttered.

Drea sent a teasing glance over her shoulder as she turned to put the canned soup into the cupboard. "Not all of us can be as effortlessly stunning as you, Finnick."

He gave a lopsided smile. "I'd hope not," he said. "Then I'd lose all my value, wouldn't I?"

Stiffening slightly, Drea didn't respond. He'd meant it as a joke, but it wasn't much of one. To the Capitol, he was a sex symbol and nothing else, a body to be used and abused. That reality was all too real and all too familiar, so Drea felt she couldn't laugh.