First Act, Scene 3: What Lives and What Doesn't

"S-servant..?" Kaedehara stuttered.

"Yes!" The strange boy gleefully said, like it was celebrating, "You're that servant, right?"

"Huh- wait, what?" Kaedehara stepped back in confusion. There was nobody across the islands of Inazuma that recognized him as a 'servant.' Even the youngest of children knew who he was.

"First son of the Kaedehara clan! He works for the people, a true noble!"

And yet...

"Aha..." Katsuragi Kaedehara sighed, "You don't know me. Quite a shocker, I'd say."

"Mr. Iwao said you were someone important but I wasn't really listening, you're a servant though, right? My creator said the other people were servants." The strange boy- no, girl? They had long hair but a masculine voice, a sturdy structure but a fragile looking body.

As a sword and blacksmith, Katsuragi Kaedehara was good at studying human bodies. He knew what swords was best styled for what type of warrior. However, this strange person who suddenly started calling him a servant, bewildered him.

'His body structure makes no sense... he looks like he could withstand a punch against a god but somehow also is, so feeble?? No, it's not only that. He seems-

'Ah! I see, he seems robotic. Like a ruin guard's first steps. His movements are unnatural.'

It was like a god's first try at creating a human. Hah, but that's impossible.

'I need to know more about this mysterious person... they're interesting. I wonder what sword would best fit them?'

"Excuse me?" The strange person's voice awoke Kaedehara from his thoughts, "Are you okay, servant?"

"Ah, yes, I'm fine." Kaedehara smiled warmly, "So, what brings you here?"

"I wanted to thank you. Remember? You taught me how to make those cranes with paper. Servants are truly amazing."

Kaedehara's smile twitched.

"Ahaha... I-I'm not a servant. You're welcome, though."

The person looked shocked, "How come? But... my creator said all the others were servants..."

'Creator...? Interesting.' Kaedehara looked down at the confused child and thought to himself, 'Did they grow up with the mentality that all other people are servants? They must be from a noble family then, tsk.'

"That's right. I'm not a servant." Kaedehara sighed, "Seriously, which family are you from?"

"Family?" They tilted their head.

"Noble family, a noble family. Your last name?" Kaedehara sighed deeper, what a pitiful child, not even knowing their own last name.

"Last name? Oh, yes. The servants told me some have another name. But I don't have one of those, sorry." They said, shaking their heads.

"Then... your first name?" Kaedehara asked cautiously, who is this child? They were severely sheltered, that's for sure. Once he figured out which family they're from, he'd sure give those good-for-nothing parents a beating!

They still looked confused, "I'm not sure what you're asking. I don't have a name."

"What the... so, then, are you really from Inazuma?"