Child of Spirits

Asahi stared at Kageyama from across the field, his gaze almost piercing. The setter didn't quite know what was up with that but he only shrugged if off.
It wasn't like Asahi would ever scare him. But the intensity and focus his expression held were just the tiniest bit unsettling- even to those around them.

"Asahi? You good?" Daichi settled down next to the ace, earning a soft flinch in return. Asahi shook slowly his head, hesitating.
"It's... the new setter. Kageyama, I think."
"What about him?" Daichi wasn't fond talking about other club members behind their backs but the least he could do was try and get behind this issue.
But what he heard from the ace turned his face a shade paler.

"You're saying he is... possessed?"

***

Whispers followed Kageyama around the leftover hours of school, and students avoided him like the plague. It was nothing new for him after his reputation had caught up to him as the King of the Court. But this time they didn't sound malicious.
They sounded afraid.

Kageyama slowly took the steps towards the small shrine at the edge of the forest, quietly settled down on his knees and spoke a small prayer.
Visiting the shrine always calmed him down somehow, and despite the weird atmosphere at school it had been a good day for Kageyama, after all.

He flashed a glance back down the steps, then at his village on the other side of the street. It was a peaceful place, with old folk and young alike going about their business- the only thing that was somewhat out of town was his school, hence the daily walk through the forest.
With a flick the lanterns began to shine and Kageyama took a glance at his watch. He had to hurry to make it to dinner.

The only noise was the sand crunching under his shoes as he took the path towards his house- surprised to see it covered in charms, some dangling even from the roof. He stepped towards the door and unlocked it, taking off his shoes and stepping into the floor.
"I'm home!"
No answer. Kageyama was surprised. Normally his mother would be waiting for him with dinner today. Why wasn't she here? Or did she just not hear him? He listened for any noise inside the house. None.

Maybe she had to stay late at work?

Kageyama chose to do something nice and quietly walked into the kitchen to open the pantry. He could cook something for his mom. She'd probably love a good meal when she came home.
But as the hours passed, as it grew dark outside, there was no sign of her. Kageyama had chosen to eat himself by now, too hungry to keep on waiting, and yet he was starting to become worried. Maybe the neighbors knew something?

The boy put on his jacket and shoes, grabbed his keys and opened the door to his house. For a moment he stood, frozen, surprised.
He was greeted by quite a few people outside. Almost his entire village, right in front of his porch, standing with torches and distant expression. Kageyama opened his mouth to say something but it just died out on his tongue before he could utter a noise.
This was too weird to say anything to that.

"Tobio..."

One of the elders in the front spoke up, taking a small step forward from the crowd.
"You haven't been in school the entire morning, have you?"
Kageyama gave a quiet nod. He wasn't sure how to excuse it beyond just lying about a wounded animal. He refused to move from his doorstep- somehow, he felt unsafe, despite those being faces he had grown up with for the past years.
The elder's face turned grim, together with the others.

One of them held up a long black feather, and Kageyama couldn't hide his surprise. That was definitely Hinata's feather. He would recognize those anywhere.
"Your teacher saw it fall from your body when you finally decided to come."
"You met with the forest spirits again, haven't you!" one of the onlookers shouted, clearly done with being quiet in the back rows.
Kageyama's face turned pale. They caught him. Again. After he just promised his mother he would not go back to the forest.
"Y-you don't understand," Kageyama finally sputtered, stumbling over his words, "He's not evil! He's nice! A really stupid idiot, but nice!"

A collective gasp followed by muttering was audible inbetween the crowd.
"Tobio...!"
And finally, Kageyama saw his mother's face inbetween the onlookers, expression just as grim as the others.
"Kageyama-san, I'm sorry. It doesn't seem like he will resist the spirits at all- the corruption is getting to him. It would be the best for all of us."
Kageyama took a few steps away from his door towards the crowd, watching his mother give a slow yet tearful nod.
"He will bring evil upon this village if he continues to meet and invite the forest spirits into our homes."
"What are you talking about?!"
Kageyama finally spoke up again, taking another step closer, only to freeze the moment he had the tips of a pitchfork held up against his neck.

"Mom what is going on? Can't we just go inside? I made dinner for you..."
Kageyama felt so anxious. What were they talking about? His thoughts ran rampant as the crowd parted to create a small walkway, and the elder who spoke first beckoned Kageyama out.
"You need to leave, Tobio. You're not welcome here anymore. The spirits have corrupted you too far. Go."
Kageyama's thoughts came to a screeching halt, his legs rooted to the ground. What was that? No, he must have misheard that.
"What?"
"You're not welcome here, Tobio. Leave."

Kageyama shook his head firmly. They were joking with him. What about his home? His stuff? School and volleyball? His dreams of becoming a legendary setter? And... his mother?
Turning to his mother with a look of helplessness, he found it unanswered as she avoided his eyes, unmoving.
"Mom say something! Tell them they can't do that! Mom I'm your son...! Mom...?"
Slow tears began to roll down Kageyama's cheeks. His pleas were left unanswered; and the pitchfork gently poked him into his side.
"Tobio don't make this even harder for us. Leave."

Kageyama wiped his tears, yet more and more were streaming down his cheeks. He grabbed his bag that had been laying right next to the door, shouldered it and quietly walked through the group of people. They were closing up the walkway behind him- following him muttering between one another, to the edge of the village.

Kageyama was reluctant. A last time, he turned around, hoping this was some sort of sick joke. But the glares of his company frightened him enough to keep going.

The grass below his shoes let out a soft crunch as he took the first step into the forest. His best solution was to find Hinata, right now. He glanced back one last time-

Glaring death at Asahi Azumane at the side of the crowd, who had chosen to stay quiet.

Kageyama turned away, and quietly disappeared into the dark trees.