Dusk is Spent Best Inside a Forest

Only reluctant Hinata moved off of Kageyama, giving the way free to the blinding sunrays above. His gaze fell onto his left wing... Huge and black, with feathers now scrunched up and a small stick pierced through the very tip. Kageyama saw that Hinata was close to crying and leaned forward to pull the stick from his wings, only for the latter to back away with a defensive hiss.

"Don't touch me! Get away from me! Just... just fuck off!"
Kageyama was surprised. He had not expected such words from the orange head. Alas, it was kinda his fault they crash-landed on this mountaintop in middle of a forest, so he couldn't exactly fault Hinata for that...

...

He did it anyway.
"Boke stop acting like a dumbass, it's your fault we're stranded here! You either fly me back to my town right now or else!"
"Else what?!" the bird screamed back at him.
"ELSE-!"
Kageyama released a puff of hot air, deflating. Yeah, else what. Threatening his only means of transportation right now was kinda counterproductive.
"Else what?!" Hinata repeated himself, glaring challenging into his eyes.
"Else something!"
A smart answer, really smart, Kageyama his own inner voice mocked him, and Kageyama breathed out a sigh. Calm down. It was going to be fine.
"Look, I ain't gonna hurt you. So let me remove that thing and be done with it."

Hinata stared at Kageyama for what felt like eternity, before he propped up his wing and stretched it out towards Kageyama. Said one slowly reached out- it was almost incredible to him that he was allowed to touch this thing.
"I'm counting to three before I'll pull it out."
"S-sure."
"One. Two. Three!"
Kageyama yanked the stick out of his wing and the orange head gave a wail in response, jerking his wing back and wrapping it around himself. The setter sighed... it was unavoidable.
"Don't be a baby, it's already over. See?"
He held up the stick, crusted in a bit of Hinata's blood.
"Well let me remove something stuck in your limbs, lets see how you do with that," Hinata drawled back and turned his head away from him.

"...in any case," Kageyama raised his voice after a moment of awkward silence, "Are you able to fly?"
Hinata shook slowly his head.
"They are big but frail too... That needs to close up and heal before I can carry ANYTHING, not even speaking about someone more than my own body weight."
"Hmpf."
Kageyama looked down at himself. He was not fat. Idiot. And he was sure those wings for sure weighted more than he did, heavy as they were.

"I propose we find a small place to stay at for a bit. Maybe we can find some help."
Kageyama tilted his head, getting up and offering a hand to Hinata who ignored it and jumped up on his own.
"Help? What kinda help? People can't see me, or they'll hunt me down."
"Noya-san wasn't that shy," Kageyama smirked back and Hinata gasped, wings fluttering angrily.
"Leave Noya-san out of- wait. How do you know Noya-san?!"
"Come along and I'll tell you."
Kageyama turned and strolled off into a random direction, listening to the outraged gasp behind him before he heard Hinata stumble after him with a few clumsy flaps of his wings to be able to keep up with Kageyama. His legs were quite short, he didn't seem to be able to keep up with him without flying. Kageyama had enough empathy to slow down for him.

Not even a few minutes later, Kageyama found himself staring at a road. An intersection? A large smirk overcame his face, startling the orange head next to him who backed away with a soft and nervous thrill.
"A road! Perfect."
Kageyama proceeded to stand at the edge of the street, holding out his thumb. Hinata remained in the shadows of the forest, angry.
"What are you doing?! Are you just gonna leave me behind?!"
"Right..."
Kageyama lowered his hand, pausing. That guy did not fit into any car and would probably cause a mass panic if seen by others. Well, that was that idea. Instead, he pulled out his phone and checked for a signal. Maybe they could walk? But Hinata did fly quite far.

"Two hours by foot?!" Kageyama groaned, staring down at his GPS signal and at the two missed calls he had from his parents. Well goddammit. And he couldn't just abandon Hinata, could he? He could call his parents and let himself be picked up, now that he had a signal. But explaining how exactly he got there was also going to be an adventure.
Kageyama breathed out a sigh... and called his mom.

Five minutes later, and he was silently walking alongside Hinata at the edge of the forest, following the road. He did admit he was nervous walking so close to a forest at this time of the day, so short before nighttime, but having Hinata next to him did calm him down a bit. He was oddly quiet, facing the ground as he followed Kageyama who had his GPS signal in front of his nose.
"...thanks."
The setter raised an eyebrow, looking up from his phone and back at the mildly frustrated boy.
"What?"
"Thanks for not leaving me behind. You could have told your mom to pick you up. Instead you just told her you'll be home soon. I... Thank you."
Kageyama was a bit surprised to note Hinata was quite relieved about the fact someone was with him.
"Aren't you home in forests? I constantly saw you lurking around them."
"Not really." Hinata perked up with a smile. "We live with a flock of others in a specific part of the forest. We got like, really cool tree houses. So wildlife can't get to us that easy."
Kageyama made an acknowledging noise. Huh. Made sense, seeing how uncomfortable Hinata was on the ground.
"You got medicine at yours? To desinfect that wound?"
Hinata nodded his head.
"Dad is really good at it. He makes medicine for the flock with herbs from the forest."

Kageyama's gaze returned to his phone. Huh.
He seriously wondered what kind of village this seemed to be.