Not the Only One

"Kageyama Tobio, setter!!"

Kageyama stood straight in front of his upperclassmen, as stiff as usual. A silver haired male eyed him carefully, mustering up a smile.
"There there, it's okay. We are all teammates here- Tanaka stop that."
The male shot a soft glare over to a rowdy looking boy who kept his iron glare on Kageyama,  yet said one couldn't have been bothered by this.

"I'm Sawamura Daichi, captain of this team. This is Sugawara Koushi... And over there is-"
"Tanaka Ryuunosuke!! Call me senpai!"
Daichi glared at Tanaka who shut down immediately, before offering a smile towards Kageyama.
"So you're a setter, hm?"

Kageyama eyed his new team with something akin to curiosity. He just hoped they wouldn't suck like his old team- he had lost, thanks to them, thanks to their pathetic plays.

Suddenly, a large man bursted into the gym hall, as white as a sheet of paper, trembling all over his body.
"I SAW IT AGAIN!!"
Daichi flinched and so did Suga, boths attention immediately turning to the male while Tanaka kept glaring at Kageyama. Was he trying to intimidate him? Kageyama wasn't quite sure.
"Asahi, again? There is nothing that could possibly harm you."
Suga breathed out a sigh and patted Asahi's back with a comforting smile.
"Did you forget to take your medication today?"
"I-I swear I did. And I still saw it."

Asahi shook like a leaf, terrified to the bone. What was going on? Kageyama had no idea but listened intently.
"What exactly did you even see?" Daichi threw in, frowning, "Something different than usual?"
"No!"
Asahi let himself down onto one of the benches, burying his face into his hands to try and calm his nerves.
"T-the same thing... t-the same thing... with wings taller than me! It was so huge... I was so scared... I ram as fast as I could! I-it even followed me..."

Kageyama perked up, turning white as well.
"What...?!" he muttered under his breath, eyes wide. So he himself wasn't just crazy? Was he going to say anything now? What should he do? Asahi speaking up again pulled him out of his thoughts.
"My psychologist said those meds would help... they didn't, in the slightest! I still see it... following me, watching me, I-"
Asahi let out a sob and clutched his shirt in his hands. Daichi and Suga exchanged a glance, then sighed.
"But you know yourself there is no animal with those attributes? It's all in your mind, Asahi. But it's okay. We'll help you calm down whenever you need it."

"Oi newby, you okay?"
Kageyama tensed as he felt Tanaka's elbow inside his ribs and flinched away, nodding hastily, silent, avoiding to look at him.
"Y-yes."
So it wasn't his own imagination. Of course not, he still had his pebbles the creature gave him. Kageyama nodded to himself, determined. He was going to squish some information out of Asahi as soon as he had the chance to.
Sugawara turned with an apologetic smile towards Kageyama.
"Sorry, I hope you are alright. I didn't exactly mean this to be your first impression on us... but don't worry, Asahi is a very good player... he is, in fact, our ace~"

Kageyama paused. That guy, their ace? This shivering, trembling and close to crying guy? Inwardly, Kageyama sighed deeply. This was going to be a fun time training with them... at least he somewhat hoped to be able to learn something from them. After all, Suga seemed to be a setter as well... long slender fingers, slim body, he was perfect setter material at least.
"Let's begin. Asahi, can you join?"
"Y-yeah. I'm okay."
Asahi slowly stood up and shook off the last bit of his horror before slowly walking over to the small court inside their gym.

***

Kageyama couldn't help it. He had to see. Quietly, he followed Asahi from behind after school, scanning his surroundings with a weird glee filling his stomach. He wasn't the only one terrorized by this thing! He knew he didn't imagine it, and at the same time Kageyama was not sure if he was going to be happy about this fact.
For a while, nothing particular was going on. Asahi seemed on the edge, constantly looking up towards the sky, constantly looking left and right. Kageyama was sure to stay out of his view but continued to follow him like a hawk.

Finally, he heard it.

Kageyama looked around, so did Asahi. They were all alone. And while Asahi didn't see Kageyama, said one could see the horror creeping up his body.

The noise of massive wings approaching from the air.

Asahi let out a scream akin to a pterodactyl screech and started sprinting away, as fast as his legs could carry him, and Kageyama was on his heel in a mere second.
"Oh god where is it...?!" Kageyama hissed, eyes flickering around, searching every spot around him. Where was it?! Where was it going to prey?!

Kageyama clenched his fists as he ran, desperately trying not to panic. Any second now. It was going to come out any second now.
Finally, Kageyama had to stop.

Air...

I need... air...

Panting like a madman, Kageyama slouched a bit, resting his hands on his thighs. Asahi was out of sight in a few seconds, yet the noise was still coming closer. Slowly, carefully, until something massive landed on the empty street behind him with a few flaps.
Kageyama, with closed eyes and clenched teeth, had been preparing himself for an ambush. Yet his brain shut down when he heard the cheeky voice of a boy his age.

"...why are you following Asahi-san?"

Kageyama paused, lifting his head slowly, not daring to turn around. He couldn't find a clear thought.
"I..."
"Why are you following Asahi-san? Don't think I didn't see you. I'm gonna fight you if you lay a hand on him, heard that?!"
Kageyama slowly tried to calm down. It worked. And suddenly, he whirled around, starling the creature behind him who stepped back with an alarmed thrill coming from their throat.

Kageyama jawdropped as he finally, finally eyed what had been hunting not only him but others too.
"What?! What are you looking at?! I'm going to fight you if you don't stop harassing Asahi-san! Got that?!"
Kageyama stared, unable to say a tone.

There... was a boy. With very wild looking hair, an old half ripped tanktop and shorts. Tiny feathers here and there on his skin, and the most massive pair of wings he had ever seen in his entire life. Definitely able to carry far more than this child who was angrily glaring at him.
"I'm.... I... what on earth are you?"
Kageyama had finally found his voice again, slowly stretching a hand out, only to have the boy jump a huge step back with the help of his wings catapulting him into the air.
"I'm a Nishinoya. Nishinoya Yuu."
Nishinoya scoffed and pointed his finger accusingly at Kageyama.
"And you are a weirdo."

It wasn't the same as his predator... Kageyama noticed the yellow freckles on the tips of his wings. His creature didn't have those.
"Kageyama. Kageyama Tobio. I... wanted to see," Kageyama finally spoke, quietly, slowly bowing down.