꧁ Chapter Two: No Sacrifice ꧂

Mars immediately began to cough which led to a fit of choking

"That's right. There's something in the air, Mars. And it's making this planet die slowly. You know it to be true so don't deny it." General Oris said, pulling a mask over his mouth so he wouldn't choke to death like Mars would do so soon.
"We're all on the same side here, Mars. I just want a ticket out of this ruined hellhole. And I can only do that with the second stone in my possession."

But Mars was still choking.
"Oh God, you are weak, aren't you?" Oris rolled his eyes before grabbing Mars' arm and injecting him forcefully with a serum that would plunge him into unconsciousness.
"Pathetic," he muttered, knowing very well that he would have reacted in the same way had it not been for his mask..

It was true.
Their realm of eternal darkness was dying. Never in its history had its air been so toxic. Oris didn't like it one bit. It panicked him.
He looked around in paranoia, afraid of a bystander witnessing what just happened. They would easily misinterpret what they saw for kidnapping or homicide but Oris was actually helping Mars. He was saving his life.
Only for the sake of finding out the location of the stone.
But then he remembered how few people risked walking outside these days and threw Mars over his shoulder and continued to walk deeper into the woods.

*

Kalselwyn was busy at his craft, preferring not to be disturbed, even by his elven allies.
He was a jaded old man, but an intelligent one who had dedicated most of his life to science, and still did so.
"Jacob, pass me the optimiser please," came his weary voice.
A tight pair of goggles was strapped to his face as his head remained down, deep in concentration.
His grandson, Jacob, continued to spin around on his chair, eventually giving the old man what he asked for.
"Thanks," he said, but Jacob feared that wouldn't be the last of his requests. "what's wrong with you, anyway? You seem awfully quiet." Kalselwyn still didn't bother to lift his head up and away from his worktop to look him in the eyes.

"Nothing...I'm just bored." Came his reply. Kalselwyn was just relieved the boy was being honest. "Grandpa," he began unexpectedly.
"Yes...?"
"Do vampires really exist?"
Now Kalselwyn finally stopped what he was doing and turned around to look at him.
"Of course they do. They're the Elven sworn enemy."
"What if umm...what if-?" He could sense great hesitancy in the boy's voice. He was afraid to ask him whatever this question was about to be, Kalselwyn noted.
"Go on,"
"What if I said I saw one."
"Jacob, that's ridiculous, we're weeks away from their supposed manor. We're safe, don't worry. I'm working diligently with these elves to keep you and your family safe..." he said while returning back to his work, finally managing to gently pick up the ruby that Lieutenant Bree had sent back to their warren.

"Wow," Kalselwyn gasped, entirely awestruck. "isn't it magnificent, Jacob?"
Jacob nodded, staring at the crimson ruby, seeing a slanted fraction of it cast a striking magenta from the artificial light that leaked through the window above.
The light was coming from the lanterns they laid outside their underground warren.