Chapter 2: The Eye

Start from the beginning

A few hours later the plane landed at Charles de Gaul airport.

As soon as the plane halted its movement and while it was still on the runway, a staircase was attached to it in much hurry with several black cars parking near it.

The two passengers exited the airplane and walked down the stairs to find one well-built young man with a stern look on his face in casual attire waiting for them.

"Monsieur Issac we meet again, and professor Garrod I presume? I am Emile Connes head of public relations, Welcome to France we are honored to have you with us" the man spoke with a welcoming French accent contradicting his rough facial features.

"Please, call me Katherine, but who's us?" Katherine asked cautiously.

Emile ushered with his hand to a nearby car and said while inviting her to the car " If you please madam Katherine we have a long drive ahead of us".

Katherine nodded, understanding that any questions asked would only be met with silence.

"Well now ma'am if you'll pardon me, it was nice meeting you, you too Emil" Said Issac.

"Oh, you are not coming with us?" questioned Katherine.

"No ma'am, this is where my job ends, let's hope to god you never see this wrinkled old face again" Issac spoke with a smile as he climbed back into the airplane haphazardly waving his hand.

As the airplane started its taxi towards the airstrip, Katherine joined Emil in his car, and the convoy of black cars started its motion heading to its destination, Katherine remained calm as she saw the plane taking off, pondering on what kind of mess she got herself in, at the very least she hoped at least she gets paid well for ... whatever it is she'll be doing.

As Katherine's car drove through the busy streets of Paris and the passing images of people, buildings, and the Eiffel tower blurred by Katherine's window, she rested her head on the car window and closed her eyes falling into sleep hoping she will get to use a proper bed soon,

***

"Professor Garrod, Madam Katherine!" spoke Emil as Katherine opened her eyes in response

"Professor Garrod, Madam Katherine!" spoke Emil as Katherine opened her eyes in response. She was feeling a neck sore from the uncomfortable position she slept in.

"Uh pardon, are we there yet?" spoke Katherine as she was stretching a bit.

"Oui madam, we're right about to enter the office's parking lot" spoke Emil as the convoy drove through the French countryside on a small narrow road hidden between the trees before taking a right turn into a small drive. As the tree cover ended the road opened to reveal the view into a large office complex, the convoy split apart and Katherine's car drove through the complex until it was parked by one of the buildings.

"Welcome to Bureau de la Manchette, if you please exit the vehicle and follow me" spoke Emil.

Katherine got out of the car and followed Emil's lead into the building. She was surprised. She didn't know what to expect going into the building, but she felt comfort in the standard-looking reception hall, Emil continued his march ignoring the receptionist's desk, and headed straight into one of the elevators, Katherine hesitated for a moment but looked around and didn't feel threatened by the surrounding environment, she took a deep breath and followed Emil into the elevator.