His promise to his mother and father were of the upmost importance. The truth about his sister had to be preserved above all costs from everyone.  Nobody could know what was truly going on. Much less his sister. She believes he doesn't but he has always known the sad truth. And it scares him beyond belief.

It never left his mind and his conscious reminds him of this when his eyes would lay onto his beautiful sister's stunning image. She looked almost exactly like mother would have. It always pained him to look because the last images he had was horrific.

His mind drifted off for a second.

________

"Promise me, Daermaethor!" Her hands were tightly gripped between his as he was on his knees carrying her bleeding head. His heart was pounding roughly in his chest as she kept bleeding from the gash on the side of her head and her shallow breathing began to falter. "You must not let her .... Don't.. don't let them change her." Her hands weakened as the light in her pleading eyes faded into darkness.

She was gone.

"I promise.. with my very last breathe." He placed his lips on his mothers forehead and rested his face in her hair as he sobbed. The sons rocked his body uncontrollably. He left alone and hopeless. He hugged his mother tightly and looked up into the sky filled with smoke.

He let out an agonizing screamed filled with all the hatred and anger he felt at the moment. He was in grief.

Never did he think he would be tasked with such a difficult task. His mothers last words were to haunt him for knowing the truth about Narylfiel's mission in life.

_______

As he snapped back, he realized he drifted off to a painful memory. Falathiel was raising an eyebrow at him as she awaited his response.
He wished he didn't give himself away by drifting off for a few seconds. He had to keep his composure.

He stared her down annoyingly with a sarcastic reply.

"I'll still be a more handsome goat than your gre—"

"I wouldn't dare go there if I were you, Daer. We know you're worried. Here, take some ale and fall back." Taristan cut him off before he could insult Falathiel without meaning too.  Taristan patted his back. He wanted to sigh as he carried a temper well controlled than most.

But, Narylfiel had turned him into this overprotective impatient brother. And yet his behavior was odd from his companions. As humans, they do not feel what was making Daermaethor become more agitated by the minute as he stayed on this unfamiliar land. There was something in the air that was making him feel hot.

Taristan placed a mug of ale in his hand and walked off with Falathiel to their tent looking back at him with a glare. She was always so motherly towards the group and Daermaethor. But she always had good reason. Falathiel is a strong woman, with a fierce heart and bright soul that never dulls. Even though she really was the youngest of the group and the only other woman, it was guaranteed that a woman will always have the best interests of her people. He tapped his finger against the mug and began to take a reluctant sip and grumbled on his own.

It was getting closer towards the night and they had to make haste to another destination. Although the others did not know to where they were to make encampment, the Prince did. They must travel to the Greenwood. Tales of the Greenwood were scarce but not to him. He knew the Elven King enough that their relationship had almost been tainted by a silly rivalry between his uncle. But that was ages ago. The Elven King has kept his kingdom alive through his strength and determination. Something that didn't keep Elessgar from falling. They failed more than ever as their civilization was lost, buried and forgotten like whispers that travel in the wind. Tales to be told around the campfire for the entertainment of others, or horror stories for the children.