Chapter 1 ~ Lily

I woke up on the morning of my first day. I was finally a sixth year. I couldn't wait to learn new things, to see all of my friends, to explore Hogwarts, and, though I'd never admit this to anyone, to see James Potter. Not even I know why I like him in the first place. It just sort of happened. His hexing has decreased slightly, and his only exception is Severus. He's been enraged since Severus called me a mudblood last year. My best friend Alice has been telling me for years that I'd eventually tell her one day that I'm in love with James Potter. I told her I'd never do such a thing.
I walked to breakfast slowly, taking in everything around me. I had missed Hogwarts so much. As I sat down to eat breakfast, I saw James sitting directly in front of me.

"Good morning, Evans." he said, smirking.

"No I won't go out with you." I said instinctively.

"You know you want to."

"Shut it."

"Ooh, denial. I like it."

"Potter!!"

"Okay, okay. I'll have to think of a better pick up line then."

I sighed. This boy doesn't know when to give up. It is kind of cute when he tries to ask me out, though. The way his eyes light up when he---

"Daydreaming about Jamsie, are we?" Sirius asked.

"You wish." I growled.

"Morning Lils." Alice said.

"Good morning!" I said cheerfully.

"Potter ask you out yet?" she asked.

"Yup."

"Rejected?"

"Yup."

"I wish you would go out with him. Then you guys could have a happy family." Alice said thoughtfully.

"No thank you." I said.

"What would you name a kid if you had one?" she asked suddenly.

"I've always liked the name Harry. It just sounds great." I said.

"Hmm. Harry James Potter and Lily Potter. Not bad." Alice mused.

I could have sworn James' face was burning up just like mine. He caught my eye but immediately began to study his toast.

"Can I be the godfather when you have a kid with Evans?" Sirius asked.

"I'm not going to marry Evans." James said.

"But you're so cute together." Alice whined.

"Harry James Potter is a great name. Even I like it." Remus added.

"Remus!" I exclaimed.

"Oy! How come Remus gets called by his first name but we're stuck with Potter and Black?" Sirius asked.

"We have become close friends through our prefect duties." Remus said, winking in James' direction.

James scowled. Sirius laughed. Even I managed a small smile.

"Hey, where's Wormtail?" James asked.

"Anxious to change the subject, are we?" Sirius said.

James gave him a look that made him start laughing uncontrollably.

"Probably slept in again." Remus mused.

I walked out of the Great Hall to go to my next class. I found out James and I would be taking Potions together this year. As I sorted through my bag, I accidentally dropped my quill. James and I both leaned down to pick it up. Our hands brushed. I felt my face heat up.

"Thanks, Potter." I murmured.

We walked in to the classroom. Professor Slughorn was excited to see James and I in his advanced class. He put our seats together and assigned them for the rest of the year. Looks like I'll be seeing a lot of him this year.

"Welcome students! In this class, you will brew some of the most difficult potions. Does anyone recognize any?" Professor Slughorn asked, motioning towards a row of potions. My hand shot up in the air as I saw a pink one.

"Yes Miss Evans?"

"One of them is Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It gives off a scent of whatever and whoever appeals to the person who smells it." I said.

James smirked.

"Very good, Miss Evans! 10 points for Gryffindor." Professor Slughorn said.

"I bet I can guess who I will smell." James whispered.

"James, the one who breaks hearts all the times, fancies someone?" I whispered in mock disbelief. Unfortunately, he smiled.

"So I'm James now, aren't I?" he said, smirking when my face got red.

"Shut up, Potter." I muttered.

"I will if you tell me who you smell when we brew the potion." he bribed.

"Maybe." I said, blushing. He laughed quietly.

"I'll be awaiting a response." he said.

"Well, class, as a treat, Amortentia will be the first potion we will brew. We begin the next time you come to this class." Professor Slughorn announced.

"Looks like dear old Evansie will be telling me her crush very very soon." James mocked.

"I never agreed to that."

"Oh well, too late to turn back. We made a deal."