What It Was Like Back Then

And there, before your eyes, were shattered memories, like a mirror which was attacked.

Jen's eyes were closed shut, in the damp, musky land of Silverpine Forest. She was silently sleeping, in a small, Gilnean house. Her sister, her twin, her beloved and only bloodline, hummed downstairs as she cooked. The two girls were young. The sister of Jen wore a mask, almost all the time. Her hair was tied back in a high-ponytail, raven-black. Her eyes were still wide in shape, like a young child's. "Sis, breakfast's done!"

Jen's eyes shot open, both pure emerald. Her hair was longer, very much long, but thin. It was never groomed or cared for, so it just stayed long and straight. She glanced outside quickly, and sighed.

Eversong Forest, it's as bright as daylight all the time... but here, in the land of the Forsaken, it's always so dark... And so rainy... Even during the day, it feels so gloomy. No land is quite like it, but... But, I enjoy it. The sun's overrated!

She shot her legs out of the bed, running down with the speed of a race horse. Her body was lithe, small, and especially skinny. This was even more strange for the Jen we know. "Hey, Riles!"

Riley glanced up, "Mushy food again. Sorry..."

Jen's eyes lowered to the pot of mashed slop. "Oh... I see. I promise, we'll get money soon. And we'll be able to have a feast one day. Maybe everyday! Just you wait!"

Riley gave a smile, unbelieving, but at least she could humor her sister. "Sure thing, sis. Sure thing." Too bad her mask covered her smile. But, the lightness in her voice convinced Jen she was sold on the idea.

Jen and Riley sat down together, scooping up bowls of their breakfast. They were quiet, a few candles flickering in the dark morning. Riley's eyes stayed locked on the table, quietly eating. Jen, however, looked to Riley with brightness in her eyes. A fire grew. She stood up, slamming her hands on the table. "You know what? I'm going to walk to Silvermoon City TODAY! And I'll get us food. I'll... I'll do anything. I hate eating like this. I hate having to hide here, with only a few lights. I hate that we have to hide our whole lives. Sis. I'm gonna do something about this. I.. I promise."

Riley's eyes flashed up with shock, listening with her keen ears. "Look, we've been trained by survival to be rogues... We live in Silverpine, because this is what we've known all these years. You're all my family. But... You're all I have. I don't know what we'd have to risk to make this any better. Our home is falling apart and the Forsaken hardly know about our living quarters."

"That's right. We've lived with them so closely for so long. I can see if there are any mages that can help me make it there. I hate to see you suffer, Riles. I'll do whatever it takes to make this better for us. For you."

Jen pushed the half-eaten bowl of food to her sister. Blair stepped downstairs, mewing quietly. Riley awkwardly looked at Blair, then Jen. "...Fine... but be home quickly. Please."

The eyes of the long-haired rogue glimmered. "I'll see you soon, Riles. I'll be back with a feast! Even if I have to thieve from someone's house. Even if I have to sell illegal substances. I won't get caught. I never will. Not until you're safe and prospering, I won't stop." Her smile was bright. "I might even get you some nice clothes!" she beckoned her hands to Riley's outfit. Which were, simply put, ragged pieces of leather sewn together by the amateur skills of Jen. She gave a simple nod as she left, mimicking the shadows as she stepped out, only things left of her was the glimmer of a knife and her fiery emerald eyes.