Chapter 1

My rotten luck made sure I could not escape. That, however, turned out to be the wisest decision, as I came to see shortly afterward. The girl, who looked somewhere between fifteen and seventeen, blasted every dangerous creature foolish enough to get too close. She killed them left and right, and without hesitation. And that was not all. Her magic killed them instantly. Instantly!

Our walk into the enchanted forest was filled with loud booms, the dying creatures did not even get the chance to cry out. I cannot help but feel that would have been me had I tried to run way. She can sense them before they appear! Sorry, I really don't feel like dying today. I'll behave!

Emillia told me of how she came to this Kingdom. Apparently, she was the Emperor's only daughter, and she was looking for someone. I might have made a face once I heard that, I felt a piercing glare behind me. I pretended not to notice.

Emillia kept glazing at my feet as she spoke. At first, I didn't mind, but when it became frequent, unease filled my chest. "Is something wrong?" I asked. She shook her head and pointed at my right thigh. Looking down, I saw my pants torn to the side, and dried blood. Still, nothing seemed amiss. What was she pointing at?

Seeing the question in my eyes, Emillia explained. "You were injured, right? I mean, it is you blood that made us aware of people at the edge of the forest." What are you?! Are you saying you could smell my blood from that distance?! I kept my face impassive as I nodded slowly.

"Other than the blood on your clothes, you seem fine." I got her meaning. Such a light wound would heal in a few minutes for me. That was just how my body operated. "As long as it doesn't dig in to deep, my body can heal it no problem."

"Even poison?" 

"Huh? What do you mean?" The woman behind answered for her. "See, those arrows were laced with poison." Poison? Must be the weak type. I feel fine. I said in kind, and they exchanged meaningful glances. I turned to the woman behind us. "Anyway, what's your name? I'm having trouble referring to you as that woman in my head."

"Oh, do forgive me. I am Camille, Lady Emillia's personal attendant. And you are?" Oops. I had not introduced myself. "I am Devion. I would say pleased to meet you, but I'm afraid it would be less than half-heartedly." Camille chucked, slapping my back several times. Is she really a woman, or is she a man in disguise?

"I like frank people. I approve your stay." Yeah. Not like you're practically holding me captive. I'll keep that to myself. Can't risk losing a limb. The setting sun was obscured by the tall trees, so they decided to make camp.

I was basically baggage at this point. But was there any reason to complain? Instead of feeling wronged, I'll just imagine they are my servants. Extremely temperamental servants who can kill me at any time. I'll just discard that thought before it leads me even more trouble.

Camille stuck her sword deep into the earth and left us in the clearing. Emillia set about starting a fire. Meanwhile, I, the lone man in the group, sat quietly in the corner. The empress lit the branches she had gathered with magic and shot me an accusatory glare.

What? What does she want me to do? I doubt they'll let me hunt, so as not to give me a chance to escape. She has already taken care of the fire. What else is left? This is me behaving, just like I promised!

Emillia sighed and left me alone when I made no attempt to move. Her attendant returned, carrying with her...Oh, for the love of all that is holy! I almost heaved, but my stomach was as empty as empty could be. The older woman didn't even have a repulsed look. Almost as if she is used to it. In her hands, she held a misshapen lump of minced flesh. Blue flesh. I once again swallowed the lump in my throat, bracing myself for whatever answer she would give me.