********

Dakota's POV

"Not to be a wimp, but can I maybe sit in the car for this visit because this is going to totally and royally suck."

"Me too please." I spoke, agreeing with Robin and Nancy shook her head.

"It'll be fine."

"I just can't stand to see those dull eyes of Eddie's break again." I sighed, leaning into Steve's side. "I really, really, can't."

"At least he can drink himself into feeling better." Steve told me, lifting a box of beer.

"That's what my mom does." Max said quietly.

"Why don't we just give it a trail run?" I asked sarcastically. "Hey Eddie! How 'bout some good news first this time? We got you some Dustin approved junk and that six pack you requested." Nancy rolled her eyes at me. "Oh, and we found Vecna! Only the bad news is that he's in that other darker, much scarier dimension that we told you about, and the gate's closed, so we have no way of getting to him. He's entirely shut off to us so basically, you're screwed. And, no, I know you were already screwed but now you're doubly, triply screwed and are going to spend the rest of your life in prison for a crime you didn't commit where you are most likely to get killed by your inmates!"

"Here's an idea-" Lucas said as I finished. "Let's just not put it that way."

I scoffed. "Yeah, that'll make it so much better Lucas."

"Look-" Nancy told me. "-we're one step closer to finding Vecna. That's what we say. That's what's important."

"But then we're lying to him!" I exclaimed "We're giving him false hope."

"Dakota, some things just don't have to be said, okay? It's better if we- oh shit."

We all quickly leaned forward to see what Nancy was looking at and I gasped. "Shit, they've found him. We need a plan!"

Everyone ignored me and quickly exited the car to join the crowd outside Reefer Rick's house. I did the same thing but instead of following them, I went around the news van on the side of the road and got as close as I could to the front of the crowd.

"As many of you may know right now-" A police officer spoke. "-the Roane County line received a call, a little after midnight...reporting a homicide here on the lake. Officer Callahan here and myself arrived first on the scene. We made our way to the shore on Lovers Lake, about ten yards from that house you see behind me." He gestured toward it. "It was there that we found the victim, an 18-year old senior from Hawkins High, Patrick McKinney."

Patrick McKinney

Why did that name sound familiar?

"His limbs, his body, were disfigured-"

Shit!

I ran off toward the others and Steve jumped as I appeared behind him. "Dakota, what the hell? Where were you?"

"Doesn't matter." I said. "We've got more important problems to take care of right now."

Nancy and Robin walked over. "We couldn't get any closer. We have no idea what they're talking about."

"I do." I said before taking everyone back toward the car so we could talk in private. "Vecna struck again." I looked toward Lucas. "His victim was Patrick McKinney."

"You mean...?"

I nodded. "Yeah. They've also released Eddie's photo to the public as a person of interest which mean two things-"

"We're screwed." Steve groaned.

"Well, yeah, but it also means that Eddie hasn't been caught yet, and that we still have time to clear his name. All we have to do is find him."