Event: Halloween Haunt (part one)

Start from the beginning

"Oh, it's papier-mâché? It looks great." Elle commented.

"Yeah, but why is it in our front yard?" Yu added on. He was promptly ignored.

"Why, thank you! It's the fruit of Diasomnia's labor. We're hard at work on more as well. Gates, lanterns, you name it." The fae beamed.

Elle watched curiously as groups of Diasomnia students worked in perfect tandem to set up gates and flowers and other props. She wasn't sure why they were decorating Ramshackle, of all places, but she wasn't about to complain. It looked fantastic.

Finally, Grim asked the unspoken question.
"What in the world is goin' on here? Why's Ramshackle getting a haunted house makeover? HEY! Who said you could mess with my dorm, huh?!"

"They're not doing any damage, hun. I appreciate your willingness to protect the dorm, but..."

Lilia nodded in agreement. "Yes, yes. And besides, the headmage gave us his full blessing."

Elle heard a groan from Yu, and struggled to hold back a sigh of her own. Of course the crow wouldn't ask their permission. Grim was just about as happy about the news as the other two.

"Say what?! Why I oughta..." he trailed off into angry grumbling. Yu elected to ask questions first, since complaining probably wouldn't do much, in his experience.

"So, why are you guys decorating Ramshackle Dorm?"

The small fae showed an easy grin. "Why else? Halloween's just around the corner!"

Elle's eyes lit up. "I knew it...!" She whispered elatedly. Yu glanced over at her. It was rare he saw her this excited. Was Halloween something she looked forward to? Or was it just the existence of a familiar holiday that had her looking like she was just given a sparkling jewel? Lilia continued on, though whether he noticed the change in mood or not was unclear. Most things were unclear when it came to Lilia, actually.

"Malleus insisted that he wanted to spend Halloween at Ramshackle Dorm, and really, who are we to deny him?"

Elle didn't try to stop the warm smile that grew on her face. "Aw, that's sweet of him."

"Truly, isn't it?" Lilia wholeheartedly agreed, a pleased note in his tone. "You should consider yourselves lucky. You could hardly put up such florid decorations without our assistance."

Elle raised her hands in mock surrender. "Mr. Vanrouge, you have known me long enough to know that I would never turn down free stuff. Actually, I should probably thank Firefly as well."

"Again, just Lilia is fine."

"Again, respectfully no."

"Worth a shot." He shrugs. " Anyway, I'm sure the only thanks he'll need is for all of us to have a happy Halloween together! Ha ha ha!"

There was a subtle chill and a brush of wind, and Elle immediately knew who was about to make an appearance. She silently stamped down her nerves while doing her best to smile amicably at the new arrivals.

"Hee hee heeeee. You're doing a real number on the place, huh?"

"Ah, hello there, ghosts." Lilia greeted, "Here to observe our work?"

"Yup. And don't mind Yu and Grimmy, decorate away!"

"Hey, I never said I was against it...!" Yu protested.

"Did you?" The tall ghost asked innocently.

"It looks cool, and Elle has given it the green light, so I trust this won't have horrible repercussions later." He folded his arms.