Ceremonial Shock

The two followed behind Crowley hand in hand as they approached a large door. Voices could be heard from the other side, and they got clearer the closer they were.

"....in what I hope will be a fulfilling campus experience."

"Hey, does anyone know where the headmage went? He disappeared midway through the ceremony..."

"Some headmage he is."

Elle snickered, squeezing the boy's hand lightly. Looks like the headmage isn't all that well respected here. He squeezed back, hiding a smirk of his own. He was more than a little annoyed with the crow man's dismissive attitude, himself.
Crowley simply started walking faster, speeding ahead of the two lost students. It looked to Elle like he was getting ready to burst open the doors.

"Maybe he had a tummyache?"

"I most certainly did not!"

Ah. She was correct.

A boy with a smaller stature and red hair peeking from his hood turned calmly to the source of the noise.

"Ah, speak of the devil."

Did this happen often? She shook her head, following the crow man into the room and pulling the one holding her hand with her. It would probably be bad if they were left behind. She silently slid into place behind Crowley.

"If you must know, I was searching for the new students who'd failed to show for orientation." He then turned to the students behind him.

"You two are the only ones who have yet to be assigned a dorm. You, with the brown hair, can go first. Step up to the Dark Mirror, and be quick about it. I'll watch your weasel."

"Grrrrr!"

"But he isn't mine..." the boy grumbled.

Elle let go of his hand and gave him a reassuring pat on the back. He nodded at her and took a deep breath, before hesitantly walking up to the mirror. To both of their surprise, instead of his reflection, a large white mask with black detailing appeared on the other side.

"State your name."

"I'm Yu..." he said shyly.

Elle took note of that for later. She never did ask for his name. Not that there was much time for that when Grim was after both of their hides, and then immediately after that, Crowley rushed them here.

"Yu... The nature of your soul is............"

The mask widened its eyes. Then it squinted. The silence lasted long enough to be uncomfortable.

"......unclear to me."

Elle blinked. That was probably bad, right? She shifted further into the blind spot Crowley provided. The crowd of hooded students murmured.

"What did you just say?"

"I sense no magical power from this one. Soundless. Colorless. Shapeless. Utterly vacant. Therefore, no dorm would be appropriate."

The student's murmurs turned to full on whispers. That mirror didn't pull any punches, huh. Crowley quickly tried to refocus the situation.

"Well! We will come back to your situation momentarily! For now, you, go step up to the mirror."

Elle felt her blood run cold. Of course he wouldn't forget about her when it mattered. She ducked her head, glancing around, trying to find a way out.

"Come now, quickly." Crowley nudged her towards the stage. She looked up at Yu, who was still standing anxiously near the mirror in utter confusion. She quickly ran up to him, trying to shield him from at least some of the prying eyes.