As I watch another shadow grow over Kirishima, I can't help the snicker that escapes my lips when he jumps again, head snapping to look behind him as the muzzle of the other Shire brushes against his shoulder.

"Horses." I correct his previous question and he reaches his hand up to pet the animal— That is now continuing to investigate him, beady eyes probably searching for more treats.

"Here, you freaked him out earlier so I didn't have time to give him anything." I speak up after watching the two for a moment.

As I come up to his side, Kirishima sends me another confused glance, crimson brows raised in the shadows of the moon with his hands still brushing up and down on the Shire's muzzle.

He watches as I reach into my satchel again— Retrieving another sugar cube and lifting it for the horse, who gladly turned his head towards me to take his treat.

"You came out here to give them.." "Treats." I answer when his voice trails off, reaching into my satchel one last time to pull another cube out and hand it to the soldier.

"She had two so he gets two," I explain, nodding my head towards the Shire and ushering Kirishima to hand it over to the animal.

His eyes flicker down to the small food in his hand before looking up to fixate on the Shire and give him his second treat.

While he's busy, I reach up and grab a handful of the Shire's mane, gently brushing my hands through it and detangling those poor long locks.

And when I'm on his second braid, a "Huh," Sounds off from where Kirishima stood, my eyes flickering up to meet his.

"What?" I ask and he clears his throat, averting his eyes "You really like these horses," He comments and I shrug, running the braids through my palm before letting it drop with the rest of his hair.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that." I reply, a light blush of embarrassment dancing across my cheeks as I idly fix the satchel strap hanging on my shoulder and we fall into an awkward silence.

"..I uh, did my small routine, so we can go back now." I speak up over the crickets and other wildlife that had seemed to grow louder during our pause.

Kirishima quickly snaps out of the zoned out state he had fallen into, hurriedly agreeing with me— To which I wasted no time in passing by him to leave.

His footsteps are quick too follow as well, his figure coming to trot at my side as we headed back the way we had both come.

The silence between us isn't too loud compared to the rustling of the bushes as we pass through them, breaking from the path we had been following for days now to get into the forest.

"So, you said 'routine' back there." He brings up, earning my attention once more and chasing me to nod nervously "Yeah?"

"How long have you been doing this?" He asks, curiosity flowing in his words as he lifts a branch from me to duck under "Doing what?" I spark up to play dumb as he lets go of the branch.

It's leaves shuffle loudly as the wood falls behind his figure, a closed mouth smile on his lips as he gently elbowed my shoulder "Sneaking out to follow a routine were you give horses treats."

I deadpan, wanting to groan at how I managed to mess up and reveal my small hobby— But instead, I just pause to silence "Please don't tell anyone about this." I start and his head tilts slightly at my request.

"Why not?" He questions and I can't help but run my hand along the satchel strap on my shoulder nervously "It wouldn't really be too good for my image, you know? A noble who sneaks out at night to feed animals." I point out.

"Plus you already know I have enough money to match any demands you have to keep my secret, just name a price and I'll—" "Woah, woah, woah," He cuts in with a laugh.

"You don't need to give me anything, if you want me to keep it a secret— I'll keep it a secret." He smiles but even with the genuine tone in his voice, I still feel a little uneasy.

"Really?" I question in disbelief and he nods "Of course," Then he pauses before snapping his fingers as a new thought comes to mind—

And a part of me kind of assumes he had finally considered using this small secret to black mail me and decide on a price— "But only if you start taking me with you from now on." He states and my brows furrow.

"What, why??" I argue and he shrugs "You asked for my price and that's my price." He states easily and I finally groan "You can't be serious."

He shakes his head "And you can't expect me to just sit back while you wander off in the middle of the night, alone without protection." Kirishima comments and I scoff.

"Wow, thanks." I respond sarcastically as we break through the tree line and find ourselves back at the campsite.

"I took an oath to protect you," He reminds and I grumble as we approach the back of my tent and I crouch down to lift the back flap up.

"Fine." I finally cave and glance over my shoulder to see those sharp teeth out and in a victorious smile "We can talk more tomorrow,"

"So goodnight, Kirishima." I say, earning a slight bow from the soldier "Goodnight, My Lady." He replies before pausing and looking to me with an expression that says he wants to say something else.

"You know, I don't think any one would care if they found out, it sounds like a fun hobby." He comments and I shake my head, a soft smile falling onto my features.

"See you tomorrow."

And once the flap falls back into place, I step away from the wall— Listening to his footsteps as he circles back to guard the front of the tent and I take the time to strip the satchel from my shoulder.

——————————————————————————