Chapter 36 - Summoned

Start from the beginning

Azriel's speech had left her seemingly stunned, her lips parted slightly as her eyes scanned his face. "What you said earlier today, before Rhys, before the study, and before the fortress... I feel the same way." Elain whispered, her eyes welling with tears.

Azriel cocked his head questioningly as she replied, her voice gaining strength. "That you see me. You've always seen me." He smiled, nodding his head at her before taking her hand in his again, moving their fingers through the water slowly before leaning off the built-in marble bench and deeper into the tub, still holding her tight.

The tub was almost deep and long enough to be considered a pool, and Azriel took Elain to the center of it, still holding her and moving her hand to explore the water, though he noticed her heart had stilled, returning to a regular beat.

"I don't know if I'll ever be able to talk about those things... the Cauldron..." Her voice broke through their silence, her body shuddering in reaction to the word.

"I feel similarly." He replied, his voice soothing and low as he twirled them in the water. "It's difficult to discuss the painful things of the past... but the fact that you are open to hearing me, open to listening to my story and holding me as I tell it, that's what's most healing."

She smiled, tucking her head back into his shoulder. "Then maybe someday we'll share with one another... about the Cauldro... and about your past... but only when we're ready."

He smiled back at her, twirling them both gently in the water as the candlelight in the bathing rooms flickered in unison with the fae lights of Velaris beyond the window.

゚☆: *.☽ ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── ☽ .* :☆゚

"I've never slept next to someone like I have with you." Azriel whispered the confession, his hand trailing Elain's cheekbone as her eyes flared in surprise. "Never felt safe enough to share a bed with someone. Well... maybe Cassian on occasion."

Elain breathed out a laugh as she nodded. "I haven't either... aside from my sisters." She cuddled near to him under the sheets.

"But your fiancé—" Azriel's question hung in the air, but Elain shook her head.

"Those were stolen moments... never a night spent together. Honestly... I feel as though I barely have memories of that time anymore."

"I'm proud of you— for how you handled today. The fortress.. your mate... it's been a big day for you." He reached over to tuck a curl behind her ear, his hand grazing along the rim of her ear, causing her to sink into his touch.

"I was being melodramatic, and Nesta was exaggerating my powers," Elain chuckled, closing her eyes and turning her nose toward his palm, smelling the cedar and mist.

Azriel shook his head, disagreeing with her. "No. You were perfect." Taking her other hand in his, he wove their fingers together. "Do you feel closure? After seeing him?"

Elain paused for a moment to think, recalling the events of the long day. "Yes. But at the same time, I was never interested in closure with him. I feel so detached from my human life... the love I had for him... it's been you for so long now. It's like you've swallowed my entire soul."

"I know the feeling." Azriel replied, his dark eyes gazing at her as she scanned his face, her vision traveling to his tattoos across his shoulders and chest.

"And Morrigan?" Elain asked in a small voice, her mind returning to the evening in the garden, before Patras. "How have you been able to move on from her after loving for so long?"

Azriel seemed to reflect on the question before he answered. "Mor and I... we have a connection. I saved her many centuries ago, bleeding out in that forest... but moving on from her... it's hard to say when it happened. Many years before you were even Made." He seemed to answer honestly, and Elain nodded her head in understanding, her soft hair rubbing against the fluffy pillow.