Sam took a deep breath and walked away from the fire. He had his wallet and could use one of his fake credit cards to buy a bus ticket back to Lebanon.

Sam stared out the window. The last time he'd been on a bus like this was when he ran away from Dean. Well, left him. It's where he met the demon, Meg. She had been snide, untrustworthy, and a backstabber, but she had died for a good cause. And that's what defines a person, right?

He sighed and rested his head against his seat. He'd been on the bus for an hour and a half. He wondered if Claire and Jen were worried. Sam wanted to call them, let them know he was okay, but he didn't want to tell them about Dean and Cas. He couldn't bear it. He drifted off into sleep, not wanting to think.

He woke thirty-five minutes later to his phone buzzing in his pocket. Sam fumbled for it and breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Cas' name on the screen.

"Cas," he breathed into the receiver.

"It's Dean."

"Dean? Are you okay? What—"

"Sam, I'm fine. It's... It's Cas. He's real bad, Sam. I can feel... I can feel his pain." Dean sounded terrified. His throat was tight, like he was trying to keep tears at bay.

"Where are you?" Sam asked.

"Uh, New Mexico. I don't know what he was aiming for but it wasn't here."

"Okay. I'm guessing Cas can't fly."

"No, Sam. He's really beat up. Those bastards tainted the fire with holy oil. He could have died," Dean said.

"Shit," Sam said. He rubbed his hand down his face. "I'm on a bus home. Once I get there I can drive down and find you guys."

"Hurry. I don't know how much longer he'll last, man."

"Have you tried Chuck?" Sam asked. "Or Hannah?"

"I've been praying like a fucking nun man and I got nothing. It's like all communication to Heaven is gone. Cas tried too, nada," Dean said.

"Dammit that's not good," Sam said. "Just hold on. I'll call you if I can find anything on healing holy fire burns."

"Thanks Sammy," Dean said.

"Stay safe," Sam warned.

"Not a problem."

Sam hit the end button and collapsed against the bus seat. A couple people gave him worried looks, maybe they'd overheard the conversation. Sam hoped he didn't say anything that would sound crazy. He picked up the phone again and dialed Jen's number.

"Sam," she said.

"Jen, baby I'm sorry I didn't call earlier."

"I'm just happy to hear your voice," she said. "Are Dean and Cas with you?"

"No."

"Oh my God. What happened?"

"They're in New Mexico. Cas got Dean out but miss calculated his flight landing, I guess. Cas can't fly, he's hurt, so they're stranded until I get there," Sam explained.

"How badly injured is Cas?" She asked.

"Uh, I'll explain when I get home. I'm on a bus."

"Okay, Claire and I will come pick you up at the bus station."

"Jen—"

"Don't argue. We're coming, it'll be much faster this way. I'll pack you a bag."

Sam smiled. "Okay. Can you pack my laptop? I'll need it."