Chapter 5

Kivuli slowly began to awake and adjust to the world around her. She was somehow laying on smooth concrete, which surprised her. Last time Kivuli checked, she was in her bed. The protogen stood up, and as she did, a haunting chill ran through her. She was in some sort room, almost nearly made up of a pool. The pool was calm, clear, and still, as its like warm waves reflected all of the items in the room. Beautiful tiles lined the rim of the swimming pool, which contained many twists, turns, and small circles of surface in the middle. Jungly plants had been placed all over the side of the room and on some of the little islands. There were deep and shallow areas of the pool, and the room around it was completely dark, closed off, and about the size of a small stadium. It seemed like a swim centre, but no one was there except Kivuli, and it looked to be closed. There was no doubt that it was nighttime, around midnight, but how did Kivuli get here? The protogen sat down and placed her paws over her face, hoping to wake up. if this was a dream. No luck.

After just standing there for a while, horrified, she saw something out of the corner of her eye. She quickly turned her head and felt a pang of fear. What had passed by her? Kivuli felt... unsafe. Kivuli knew that she needed to get out somehow, so she stood up, visibly shaking. She searched intensely for an exit as she walked the perimeter of the room, though she suddenly felt herself lose balance and tumble to the ground, instinctively throwing her arms in front of her face to catch herself before she could hit her head. Kivuli turned her head to see what she tripped on, and she fell back again, her heart skipping a beat due to the sight in front of her; blood, gore, and chunks of flesh and bone littered the cement around what Kivuli had tripped on — a dead body. She could not make out who it was due to the room being very dark, but she could tell that the blood was fresh, indicating that the person had to have died within the past day. Along with that fear, Kivuli could also sense another's presence. A cold, heartless, yet somewhat... familiar presence. A presence that once comforted her, but this time there was something horrible wrong. Something was off, something had changed, and it made Kivuli feel helpless and lost. The presence got stronger and stronger, until at last... Kivuli could feel the soft cushions of her bed supporting her. The protogen shot up, breathing quickly in fear, and then relief after she felt a warm breeze rush through her. She turned to her open window and realized that she had woken from that horrible nightmare. She decided to check her phone to see the time, and it read "1:32 A.M..". She had also seen that Lapis and Emerald were talking in the group chat, and she had received three messages. The first one read "yo lapis i saw u were online, u can't sleep either??" That was from Emerald, two minutes ago. The second read "yooo your right abt that, I definitely can't sleep lol. What's keepin u awake?" That was from Lapis. And the last one, also from Lapis, one minute ago read "oop srry Kivuli if this woke u up, just realized we're texting on the group chat-". Then one more message suddenly appeared with a sharp pinging noise "oop yea just realized that too, I was tired and I saw lapis's profile pic on this one so I thought it was her. Anywaysss srry kivuli". Half asleep, Kivuli replied with a simple thumbs up and then closed the phone, immediately drowning out the blue light. As she was tucking herself in again, something hit Kivuli. Those messages were sent about two minutes ago, and well... that was around the time that she felt that strange presence in her dream... weird.