Chapter 11

I was sitting in an empty classroom and listened to the radio in front of me. I usually didn't listen to the other aviators when they flew but this time Iceman's wingman was Maverick. Even before they went up in the air my nerves were killing me, but the only thing I could do was listen to their channel. Jester's voice came over the channel and he told them that it was hop 31 and that the trophy was still up for grabs, every point counted. It was silent over the radio when they took off and I waited nervously until someone said something.

"Well, it's the bottom of the ninth, the score is tied." Goose's voice came over the radio. "It's time for the big one."

"You up for this one, Maverick?" Ice questioned and I could already sense the tension between the two men.

"Just a walk in the park, Kazansky." Maverick answered and I could literally hear the smug smile in his voice. Rolling my eyes I knew this would get intense. Hopefully their big egos wouldn't get in their way.

"Contact. Multiple bogies, 165." Slider then interrupted them and I sat up straighter. "Two miles, looks like they're going away from us."

"Ho, I see them, tallyho, right 2 o'clock. I'm in." Maverick said and I put my head in my hands, trying to get the nerves to calm down. I had a bad feeling. I didn't like this and it was clawing on my insides.

"I'm in." Ice's voice then came over the radio. It was silent for about a minute, they were probably engaging or something.

"That son of a bitch cut me off." Maverick mumbled in the comms and I could imagine their masculinity and ego getting the better out of them. "Come on, come on. Jesus Christ. Ice take the shot."

"Come on Ice, get the hell out of there." Goose told him.

"I can't get the angle, I'm too close for missiles." Ice answered, "I'm switching to guns!"

"Ice, fire or clear," Maverick called, a hint of irritation in his voice. "Look at this! Jesus Christ, I can take the shot right here!"

"Come on Ice, don't be stubborn and egoistic. Drop it." I muttered but my prayer wasn't answered.

"I need another 20 seconds, then I've got it!" Ice called back and I let out a sigh of frustration and nerves. Someday that ego is going to kill him! I stood up, feeling restless and if I didn't pace I would explode. It was silent for a few moments and I waited anxiously.

"I'm moving in, I've got the shot." Maverick said.

"Come on Mav, let's get in there! Come on Mav." Goose encouraged Maverick.

Slider's voice then came over the radio, "Maverick's getting impatient, Ice. Come on, take the shot."

"Ten more seconds then I've got him." Was Ice's reply. He was too stubborn to let Maverick get the shot, I heard it in his voice. I sat down in front of the radio again but couldn't keep still, my leg was bouncing up and down.

"Come on Ice, get the hell out of there! Let's do it, Mav!" Goose called and I pressed my fist against my mouth, waiting impatiently.

"Ice, come off high right, I'm in." Maverick shouted.

"Five more seconds." Ice answered and I put my head in my hands, pulling at the roots. Maverick repeated his last statement and Ice finally gave in and cursed. The relief spread in me but disappeared the second Goose opened his mouth.

"We're in his jet wash!"

"Shit!" I cursed and listened to Goose and Maverick panicking and cursing. It was looking bad, they had a flameout and none of the engines worked. I heard a beeping sound in the background as Maverick yelled that he was losing control. My heart was beating so fast, I was almost hyperventilating as different scenarios passed by in my head.