Chapter 25: The Lady in Black

Warning: mild sexual references in this chapter.

Pip was watching a tennis match, waiting for his own turn at the nets. Alice came and sat next to him with a polite greeting, dressed in a white pleated linen frock. She had two ladies-in-waiting who sat with her, and the middle-aged dark-haired woman that Pip had seen in Alice's bedroom on the night of the banquet.

He had seen her several times since then. This lady was always dressed in black, and now sat a few seats away from Alice with her knitting, although she made no secret of the fact that she was watching and listening to the princess.

"You know, Pip. It's a funny thing, but I feel as if I have seen you before," Alice said after a few minutes.

"I expect I've got one of those faces that people think they know," Pip suggested.

Alice laughed. "No, definitely not! Your face is very striking. I feel as if I saw you a long time ago."

"You might have," said Pip. "After all, I knew Bernard several years ago. You could have seen me, and then forgotten it."

"That makes sense," agreed Alice. "And yet, I also feel as if I met you quite recently."

"You did," Pip said with a smile. "I came to lunch about a week ago."

Alice gave a slightly forced laugh. "No, I mean, before that," she said. "Well, I shall place you one day."

"Are you playing tennis, Alice?" asked Pip.

"Oh yes, but later in the day, when it's cooler," Alice said. "I'm going to watch Hugo soon. He's frightfully good, I think."

Pip could only give assent to that statement, and then he was joined by Bernard, who dropped into the seat on the other side of him with a groan.

"Ugh, Father has kept me working hard, going through papers," he complained. "It's so warm today that I couldn't concentrate. Kept looking out the window and seeing you all having fun out here."

"Do you think ... do you think perhaps we're having too much fun?" Pip suggested hesitantly. "Our lives seem to be nothing but games and parties and clothes."

"Speak for yourself," Bernard grumped. "Father has me reading law and policy night and day, and everything he signs, I have to witness."

"And I'm studying very hard indeed," said Alice virtuously. "I have lessons in Castilian every day, and must learn the kingdom's history, politics, literature, art, and culture, ready for when I am a member of the royal family of Castile. I also have lessons in etiquette and deportment."

"Oh, I didn't know," said Pip in surprise. "Maybe it's only me who isn't doing anything worthwhile."

"You're leading the life of a young gentleman," Bernard said quietly, as Alice spoke to one of her ladies-in-waiting. "The same sort of life you would have had if your parents had lived."

"I don't know about that," Pip said doubtfully. "We lived in the country, and didn't really have much money."

"You're on holiday, Pip," Bernard said expansively. "Just enjoy yourself. You've worked hard, now give yourself a chance to relax."

"What work did you do, Pip?" Alice asked, turning towards them again.

Pip looked embarrassed, and then Bernard quickly cut in. "Oh, something utterly dreary, and not anything you'd be interested in, Alice."

"I think I would be," Alice said thoughtfully. "Try me."

"I did menial labour," Pip said after a while. "I hope that doesn't shock or disgust you, Alice."