Chapter 16: "Belle of the Ball"

Pip ran up the hill towards the palace, and then stopped when the fireworks began. He had never seen any before, and was dazzled at the sight of the castle lit up in shades of lavender, pink and blue, with little white stars falling upon it. Then great bursts of scarlet and gold exploded, and green flares which eerily lit up the night, to sounds like bombs going off and the scent of gunpowder in the air. It was if the castle was under attack, yet all done as a spectacle.

There was a final enormous blast of sound, and a fountain of purple flowers seemed to float over the castle walls, ending with a great flourish of white light that glowed like an enormous star or planet over the Clock Tower. Its light ebbed away as the last bell of midnight struck, and then Pip looked down and saw he was an ordinary fair-headed boy in a kitchen uniform.

"Wait a minute, where's Gilbert?" Pip said in a panic.

A few minutes later, there came an angry squeaking in the grass below him.

"Oh Gilbert, I'm so sorry," Pip said contritely, picking his friend up. "I'm sorry I left you behind, and I'll never make you be a horse again. But you were incredible, and I'll get you some earthnuts as a reward."

Pip was still feeding Gilbert his treats when the rest of the kitchen staff came back, chattering about the colourful fireworks, the dancing, music, acrobats, and the horses.

"You should have seen the lady in a lace dress riding a white horse, Pip," said a very young wench named Innogen excitedly. "She looked just like a fairy princess."

"Mm, nice legs," agreed Freddy. "Nice little rump, too. We saw it when her dress fell over her shoulders as she was standing on her hands."

"Not my type," said Jayesh. "I like a girl with a bit more up top, if you know what I mean." He cupped his hands in the air near his chest and bounced them to demonstrate what he meant.

"Pip, the kitchen looks exceptional, and the silver is shining perfectly," said Mr Smedley, patting him on the back. "Freddy confessed to swapping jobs, and that was very wrong of you both, but you've been punished enough. Freddy will be doing his punishment tomorrow."

"I'll help you," Pip mouthed to Freddy.

Freddy looked surprised, but pleased. He'd thought that Pip would barely be speaking to him after everything that had happened. But Pip felt that as his punishment had been done by magic, the least he could do was give Freddy a hand.

**********************

The following morning, Mr Smedley called the kitchen staff together for a meeting. "Now, as you all know, we have a banquet next week to prepare for - ''

"A banquet?" Pip said in surprise. He'd been reliving the moment Bernard kissed his hand the night before, and came out of his daydream to discover he hadn't been listening at all.

"The banquet on Monday week for Prince Bernard's twenty-third birthday," Mr Smedley said with impatience. "The banquet we have been discussing every day for the past week."

"Oh, I see. The banquet," Pip said, nodding his head, and now paying close attention.

Mr Smedley continued. "As Prince Bernard has only just returned home, we have had limited time to prepare, and he brought with him a distinguished companion - ''

"That's his new missus," called out Viviane cheekily.

Mr Smedley gave her a repressive look.

"Princess Dorothea may or may not be a prospective bride," he said sternly. "But we know she is royalty, and a visitor to our kingdom. We must prepare a feast that will show we can provide hospitality for a princess used to the wealth and magnificence of Bjarma."