Chapter five

It's been a few months since a Beth found out she was pregnant, at first she was scared, terrified, so was Daryl, but now they're both excited to greet their new baby. Daryl has gone out on runs and found reusable baby nappies and baby grows and clothes. He's found maternity clothes for Beth and even secured the fence that surrounds there little cabin. Beth has never felt so safe and at piece, but with her full belly and Daryl by her side, she's the happiest and safest she's ever felt.

It's the middle of winter and Daryl won't be going on runs as much for a few months, just trying to sustain themselves for the next couple months until it's warmer, they've got plenty of food so they aren't worried. It's gonna be a spring baby, she can feel it. Just a few more months to go and she's gonna have her little baby in her arms. She can't wait to meet the little thing.

"We need a crib for when the baby arrives" Beth mutters to Daryl who was in the kitchen making her some herbal tea.

"That means a long run, gone for a few days" Daryl says as he looks at her. He doesn't mind going for that long and he knows they need a crib, he's just worried about leaving Beth on her own for so long.

"I'll be fine, don't worry about me" she chuckles at him, practically reading his mind. He walks over, her tea in hand and sits next to her, placing the tea on a small coffee table they have and then bringing her in for a cuddle.

"If you're sure you can last a few days without me" he laughs as he tickles her a bit, getting a laugh out of her too.

"Real question is, can you last without me" Daryl pretends to be shocked before going back to tickling her. He's loving her little giggles and starts kissing all over her face, getting more out of her. He loves seeing her like this, feels almost normal, like the world outside hasn't gone to shit.

———
A week has gone by and still no sign of Daryl, Beth is full of worry, he said he'd be a few days, not a week. Beth was practically counting the hours since he left, carving little lines on the door frame for how many days he was gone, 8 days and he's still not here. She feels here eyes well up and it's too difficult to hold back the tears, she leans her back against the wall and slowly slides down it, sobbing as she does so. She doesn't wanna have this baby alone, she needs Daryl here with her.

She doesn't know how long she was sat there in the same place for, but she ended up crying so hard she fell asleep, she didn't know when she fell asleep, but she does know she woke up to the sound of banging on the front door.

"Beth!" She's hears Daryl yell from outside, she gets up as quickly as she can and hurries to unlock the door and let the man in, a cold breeze and a couple bits of snow whisk in as he steps in. She envelopes him in a hug, sobbing into his neck.

"I thought I lost you" she cries and he comforts her, holding her close.

"I'm still here, there's a car outside that I found, had a bunch of fuel in it, the crib is in there too" Daryl says as he pulls her away to look im her eyes, she smiles, excited to see the new crib. "I'll bring it in, you stay here" she does as told and wait while he gets the baby.l cot out of the car, it's a dark auburn colour, looks quite new. "Didn't wanna bring back some old shit, managed to find a baby store about 15 miles away, that's why I was so long" Daryl realises he must of seriously upset her, knowing he was gone way longer than he said he'd be, if it was the other way around, he would be a broken mess too.

"Thank you" Beth says gently and then gives him a long awaited kiss, he pulls her in again, wrapping her up in his arms and then pulling away, bending down and kissing her growing tummy. Beth strokes his head as he does so, heart swelling at the moment. She's knows he's gonna be a great daddy.