chapter 72

Harry's green eyes roamed over the area that had been overgrown with grass just a month ago, inspecting the area; just to be sure everything looked right. Which of course it did, everyone had been working hard to ensure it. They normally got up at six/seven o'clock had breakfast before they were working all day until night fell upon them. They didn't go anywhere once it got dark, mostly out of habit really, than any real fear that they could be attacked. The first fortnight had been purely planting seeds and trees, hay had been pretty much the first thing to be spread over the freshly overturned earth, and they would need it for the livestock. In fact Harry had brought in a twine tie baler as well as tractors and rakes, and scythes all things they'd need to deal with the hay when the time came for it to be harvested. Then the Wheat, oats, corn Barely and Rye had also been planted next, in the same area, keeping the 'grains' together. The urge to use a spell to get the work done in a few minutes in what takes the group three hours was strong, but they needed something to do, to remain productive.

Nodding in satisfaction, content that everything was going well, he turned away from the large field, wandering back towards the communal dining hall, Carol, Big Tiny and Oscar had true to their word cleared out the museum, or rather the ground floor, packing everything upstairs, preserving everything meant something these days, so the upstairs was still a museum of sorts, which people didn't frequent all that often but maybe one day.

He passed the large barn that Merle had installed with the help of Sasha, Tyreese, Axel it had been originally intended for some of the animals, but Harry had used it for the rice 'paddies' which were in reality seven very large blow up swimming pools which Harry had charmed quite solid and thick so they couldn't be deflated. Upon reading how to grow rice Harry had realized that Rice needed a warm sunny climate, so the barn it had been, it had magically enchanted sun globes floating along the top of the roof. It was magically expanded, so they all fit comfortably and with enough room to walk through it putting more water into it when it was required - and it did indeed require a lot of water according to the instructions. A week later the 'wooden raised garden beds' that were filled with asparagus seeds had joined the rice, due to the fact it needed a lot of sun, plus it was better to have it out of the way - it takes two years for asparagus to be ready for harvest but Harry had plans to make it less of a wait.

Behind the barn the trees they'd had for the past year in the green house had been planted along plethora of other sapling trees Harry and the others had brought back from scavenging a nursery on the fifth day in PA (Pandora's Apscondo). Five feet from the barn and trees which would only grow bigger with age was numerous vegetable patches. The vegetables they used more of were planted in abundance, carrots, turnip, onion, tomatoes, potatoes, Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, rhubarb, beans, peas, cucumbers, squash and not to forgot the pumpkins, which Luna had insisted on.

The horses were stored in their very own stables; they now had seven in total, although it had taken some work from Hershel, Rick, Glenn, Maggie and Beth to get it in optimal condition. It required intense cleaning and mending of the broken stall doors where the walkers had broken them down to get to the animals within. The chickens had remained in Luna's back garden, it's not as if they had a real use for gardens these days so it was no problem for her, and Harry was sure it reminded her of home. He remembered visiting the house, there had been many animals around it, including chickens.

They had pigs in a pen a ten minute walk from here, only three, but one of them was female and pregnant according to Hershel, which made them extremely lucky to say the least. If she was able to get pregnant twice they'd have a supply up and running within two years. Not only would they be able to make leather out of the pigs hide, they'd be able to eat as well. Each obscure farm they found in the middle of nowhere bore some fruitful rewards, the pigs and the other horses, more chickens, a few roosters.