In Kyung

I burst into my boss's office and drop the files I was put on my desk. I cross my arms on my chest as he slowly looks up from his newspaper.

"What is it now?"

"How could you make me do this story? It's a lie!"

"Not our problem." He puts down his newspaper with a sigh and tiredly says, "We only do what we are told by the higher-ups."

"No. You let the rich lead. See? This is exactly why—"

"You can barely make means end!"

For the first time, he lets his anger out and I step back at his dark expression. He then lets out another sigh and goes back to his tired look.

"You are in no place to be complaining, Ms. Oh. Just cover the story. No one will get hurt. It's just a small cover for the Kim Company."

I find my strength again. I can't help it. Deep down, I know I should look down in shame and just do the story. But how can I just cover up another murder like that?

So I cross my arms and firmly say, "I will not. Find someone else."

I start out the door feeling that rush through my veins until his words make my blood run cold.

"If you step out of that door and do not cover that story, you are fired."

I freeze at the doorknob and turn with wide eyes. He's serious. I finally understand the look behind those tired eyes. He stands with hands shoved in his pockets and with his face firm. "You've been giving us problems for a while now, Ms. Oh. I have to admit, you are an excellent reporter. You have potential. It's unfortunate you never learn. So I'm guessing I will be seeing you out today."

I wish he was wrong. I wish the frantic side of my brain asking me to cover the story could take over. But I sadly let my shoulders fall and take a box by his desk. It's like a walk of shame as I go back to my desk with that cardboard box. People begin to whisper and others do small smiles of celebration. My arch nemesis since day one, Mari, comes up to me with a smirk and says, "Finally. We don't want this place to get infected by useless people like you."

I stay quiet and try my best to ignore her words. I keep my head down. I keep my eyes down so I don't see their burning eyes as I walk to the elevator. Some ask if I need another box to carry all my mouthwash bottles filled with tequila. If I actually had any, I'd throw it to all of them and ruin their fancy laptops.

Unnie doesn't have a job. I was her last hope. I hope she doesn't get too mad at me.

As I enter the elevator, I'm surprised to see Ms.Lee, the new secretary, in the elevator with a cardboard box and a sullen face. Her sad eyes shine at my arrival and notice my box.

"You got fired, too?! But you're amazing!"

I do a tight smile and sigh as I press the button for the first floor. I want to escape this place already.

"It was bound to happen," I say with a sigh. "Why did you get fired?"

She does a sad shrug. "He said I was too clumsy. He's not wrong but this job was my last option. I guess I'll apply to a fast food place. Or a restaurant."

I feel her pain. I give her a small smile and say, "I'm sure you'll find something. Will you apply today?"

She scoffs. "Are you kidding? I'm getting drunk first and then I'll start applying."

"Hear hear."

We are silent for a moment until she suddenly says, "So you want to join me? I found this place by my house that offers happy hours."