In Joo

I think I'm on the verge of getting fired.

The manager of my floor told me to come to work for four hours only unless other floors may need other help.

During the first week, I'd beg everyone on each floor to have something for me to do in the afternoon. I even said to one person that I'd be willing to mop the floors if I had to. Some people were kind enough to have me file a few papers and staple others. But they slowly grew tired of me and I found myself arriving home before anyone else.

I kept it to myself at first. I didn't want to worry my sisters. They had their own problems going on in life but by the time I had to do next month's budget, I ended up crying. In-kyung heard me from the bathroom and came out in surprise.

"Unnie? What's wrong?"

"I don't know what to do. I don't—" A sob overwhelmed me and In-kyung tried to look for something that'll make me stop crying. But nothing worked. She only wrapped her arms around me and that was enough to comfort me.

Luckily, In-hye was out studying with Hyorim so we quietly went on a stroll that night. I was able to tell everything to In-kyung and she looked at me with that worried furrow on her brows. "Unnie...why didn't you say anything?"

I sniffled with a sad smile. "I didn't want to bother. You two already have your own problems going on. I don't want to—"

"Hey." She stopped walking to turn towards me with furrows brows filled with determination. "Don't ever do that again. Okay? You say it yourself. We're a family and a family sticks together. That means we all have to help each other out, too. I understand hiding it from In-hye, but me? You can tell me!"

"I just don't want you to start stressing and getting anxious."

"Of course I'll be worried but I'll be okay. Hm?" She took my arm again and waited for me to nod in understanding. She finally held my arm close as we continued walking. After a long silence that let my heart find its breath again, In-kyung said, "Let's get ice cream."

"I didn't bring my wallet."

"I brought mine. That's why I took you out. I was going to get ice cream."

My heart melted at her gesture as she turned to give me soft eyes. But I still said, "You have enough?"

"Yes. Now let's hurry before they close."

I don't know what I'd do without her. Without both of them really. Just as In-kyung knows that ice cream makes my life brighter, In-hye came in one day from school with a hesitant look. I gave her a warm smile from the kitchen sink and watched her slowly come up to me with an envelope in her hand.

I patiently waited for her to find the courage to say, "Unnie...Don't get mad at me, okay?"

I only shut off the water and turned to watch her look at the folded envelope in her hand. She slowly opened it and said, "I wanted to help. I know work isn't looking so great for you or In-kyung. So I did a few paintings after school for peers that wanted portraits of themselves."

So that's what she's been doing after school.

My heart melted when she took out a small amount of money from her envelope. I took off my gloves and took her sweet gift with surprise starting to run on my expression. She did a small smile and then said, "You won't get mad, right? I promise I did my studies beforehand."

"Oh, In-hye..." I brought her in for a hug and she returned it without hesitation. "Thank you..."

"It's the least I can do to help."

I pulled away and took a few bills from her envelope to put it in her hand. Her eyes went wide and she quickly tried to put it back in my hand. But I stopped her and closed her fist on the money. "For you and your friends. Get yourself something nice for your hard work."