Chapter 21

Molly lamented silently. She could never show them the turmoil within; to do so surely meant the end.

"So now Marin can come?"

The girl. She was helping her friend off the bridge, the man wincing, clutching his side.

How many more, do you think?

"Yes," Molly said.

More wires, more junk, a toddlers play-place laid bare for the world to see. Here and there Molly spotted red-slash marks. Paint, she hoped, though all signs pointed to the usual bloodletting.

"Where do we go now?"

Chase stood there, not moving, half-drenched and shivering.

"Now you must go on your own."

She went up to an alleyway between a supply building and a warehouse with metal planks boarding up the windows. The alleyway was dipped in shadow, and when Molly turned away she saw movement in the corner of her eye.

"Follow this alleyway, then follow the street in. You will find a set of moving machines. Ask for a man named Gordon. He will take you in. You will have to learn how to shoot and how to follow orders. If you do not take this path, I do not think that you will live out the day."

"We're waiting for Marin."

Molly closed her eyes and sighed. "I do not advise that."

Kathy's eyes became scarlet, and her eyes were tear-riddled. "What the hell is that supposed to mean? He's coming, right?"

Teddy moved up and put a hand on his rifle, eyeing the other two.

Molly reserved to say no more.

Kathy faltered, then turned away, pressing a hand on her head as she came up and stood next to Chase, not meeting his gaze.

"You did what you could," Teddy whispered.

Molly was ready to leave it there, but then Kathy called out and pointed down the river, all color falling away from her.

At first they looked like logs running down the river, but as they came closer instead of bark Molly saw skin and instead of hollow shells they were of the city and of flesh. There was no discrimination here, just a set of poor souls rung out and then tossed into the river, their bodies exposed to the nothing-sky above.

Kathy fell to her knees, Chase running over and vomiting against a wall.

"They come from up the river," Molly began, in a trance. "Children of south-end. They came out of the doors first and thought they could make a better world off the back of the city they lost. Soon they realized their hubris. They didn't have the means to create a world, so instead they fell victim to the new one."

"No one deserves this," Kathy said, shaking her head slowly.

Molly did not answer, then took her leave until Chase shouted for her to stop.

"I want back in," he seethed. "I want to go back to my apartment. I'll wait it out."

"You aren't listening," Molly responded.

"Fuck you," Chase pressed. "I don't trust any of you. I'm going back and when someone comes to clean up this fucking mess at least I'll be alive to see it."

He broke off, Kathy trying to get him to talk but Chase was clearly not going to do that.

Molly lowered her head, then continued her march.

"Molly?"

Teddy was staring at her. He remained fixed, as if he couldn't believe what was coming next.

"I'm sorry, Teddy. This is how it's going to be."

"We have to help them. I...it sounds like Marin..."

Molly searched the ground. "If you'd rather go, I understand. This is my own journey." She smiled and took his hand in hers. "I appreciate it. I really do."

She noticed Kathy hovering over Chase, whispering loudly so that he might realize his error.

"They will never understand," Molly said, more to herself than anyone else.

She went on. She was done suffering strangers.

"Molly!"

Teddy came up, adjusting the strap holding his rifle.

"I'm ready."

Molly stared at him.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

Kathy and Chase were gone. In a way, Molly figured this was the best outcome.

If only all the sacrifice had been worth it.