Chapter 13

Raelon watched the grate spark as the rats continued their suicide. He shook his head and went over to stand alongside Jannah, still digging around for food.

"Fucking vultures," Jannah said, Raelon putting a hand on her shoulder. "They're leaving nothing now."

"They think they're protecting us," Realon said. "So long as they're fed, that means they can do their jobs."

"What a farce."

He wished he could help her. More than anything, he wished he could set her free from the bonds she had wrapped around herself, but Raelon was ignorant to the world and didn't know the language of ease.

Jannah rose up and hefted her backpack. "There's nothing for us here."

They wandered for a long while. Raelon said very little if anything at all. Sometimes Jannah looked as if she might say something, and then their walk would continue, stepping over bodies as if they were nothing.

Now they were among green plains stretching over horizons. Jannah sat and parsed a hand through her hair, Raelon in-tow for if anything he was obedient to whomever he followed. This had always been true, of course, but there was something different about Jannah.

She picked one of the flowers with white pedals and placed it into her hair, sighing sadly.

"I wish I could help you."

She smiled at him, but it was false. "Thanks. I appreciate it. I really do. But some things you just can't fix."

"Maybe if you talk about it."

She shook her head. "I'm trying to survive. That's it. Not enough anymore, yeah?"

"Yeah."

She got up. The wind took her hair and beyond the sky lurched with newfound electricity. There'd be a storm soon, but this in and of itself was not abnormal and so Raelon did not despair like he used to. He would follow in her wake. Without her, he was drowning.

"I can't stand this place. I need to go up."

Raelon closed his eyes tightly.

"You don't want to. I get that. You don't have to go if you think it's a lost cause."

"Jannah, no one has..." Raelon sighed. "No one's been able to do that for a long time. Not ever since..."

"The poison," Jannah whispered.

Raelon turned, and there coming out of the folds of the city was the gas, trickling along. When it came to them, Raelon breathed freely, for both of them had been forced to inhale the stuff and were now bound to the city, no matter where they went.

"It's up there," Raelon said. "It has to be. They're suffering just like us."

"Jesus, Ray. When have they ever suffered? You invent these scenarios because they make you sleep better at night. I can't do that. I wasn't made that way."

That Raelon did agree with, though he didn't say it. Jannah took a step forward and breathed in the fumes. As she did, she began to cough, falling to the ground. Raelon tried to help her but she waved him away. When she was done she wiped away her tears.

"I just want to go home," she whispered.

A shiver, rolling down his back, and Raelon knew then that they had to try.

"Okay." He exhaled. "Okay."

He took her hands. When she looked up into his eyes, he found himself renewed. He would do anything for her. He would kill anyone for her.