Chapter Three - Disgrace

Start from the beginning

If she'd broken his heart, he must've really liked her. Poor him.

"Out of my way, Baker," he ordered, his voice low and gritty. Was he trying to be intimidating?

She huffed. This was the closest he'd ever come to making her laugh.

"Sure thing, Mulligan."

She stepped away, a bit towards Liam.

"Does he know the door is locked?" Liam asked her quietly. Malcolm heard. He faced him and jiggled the keys.

"Oh," Liam recoiled.

As the door cracked open, she heard Liam whisper something to himself.

Baker. Audrey Baker.

Like he was practicing saying her name.

Or maybe she was just hearing things.

They all filed into the lab, past the wall where the code of conducts was pasted.

Malcolm, as usual, settled in the back, right next to the cabinet of chemicals and periodic table charts. His minions flanked him. No room for giggle girls today.

Audrey made for her usual stool in the front and sat down.

For a breath stopping moment, she actually thought Liam would sit beside her.

He didn't. Instead, he settled behind.

Of course, the damp feeling shrouding her like a blanket right now wasn't disappointment.

Gradually, the rest of the class showed up and it got noisy.

Times like this, she'd just flip open her notebook and start reading. The noise never got to her. It never distracted her. Now, however, something else did.

Immediately Bella came into the classroom, she cried, "hey, new boy! You're in science, that's great!"

Audrey struggled not to look away from her notebook. Another wind of highschool stupidity. It would all blow away. She should be focused.

Naming Organic Compounds.
Rules for Naming Branched - chain Alkanes.
Rule 1

"Mind if I sit here?" Bella asked with a voice way too high to be natural. Liam shrugged. She sat. Audrey read on.

Rule 1: Identify the longest continuous carbon chain.

"Thanks. I'm Bella by the way. What's your name?"

Pause. Silence. Then:

"It's Liam."

Well, Bella was having a way better first impression than she had.

Gah! Focus!

Rule 1: Identify the longest continuous

"Liam?" Bella tapped her temple with her index finger like she was trying to think. "It sounds so familiar. Have we met before? Like in camp?"

"Um, I dunno. Maybe."

From the corner of her eye, Audrey noticed that Mark was watching them.