"Aw, no!" She pouted and made a move to get closer to him but I slipped a hand around her waist to hold her in place. "It's ok, thanks for coming."

She stepped forward again to give him a quick hug, which was quick only because I tugged her back to me by the back of her dress, as soon as she was in his arms.  

Yes, I was being childish. 

No, I didn't care. 

Josh turned to look at me, his gaze pinning me in place and I steeled myself. It was like he was trying to read into me, as only Veronica did sometimes. But he wouldn't succeed.

Then he blinked, breaking our stare off, and gave me a small smile. "Take care of her."

I knew what he meant by those words and they weren't just for tonight. 

His words were sincere and despite whatever I suspected he felt for Veronica, he seemed sincere too and I appreciated it. 

I respected anyone who would look out for her. 

"Always, I promise," I said and he gave me a tight nod before walking away.

I took a deep breath and when I turned to look at Veronica, she was nowhere to be found. 

 I frowned and set off to look for my drunk Tiger. 

This was going to be a long night. 

***

I found her outside the house, sitting on the sidewalk, peering around a small bush beside her, with a confused expression on her face.

As I got closer to her I realized she was mumbling to herself. 

"Hey!"I said as I walked up to her. 

She jumped, startled, at the sound of my voice before her eyes widened. "Shhhh!"

She gestured for me to sit down beside her and I obeyed. 

"What's going on?" I asked and she shot me an irritated look. 

"Shh! Lower your voice," she whispered. "He'll hear you!"

"Who will?"

"He will."

I sighed. "Who is he?"

She rolled her eyes. "Max."

"What?" I felt my body stiffen at the mention of his name. "Max? Are you sure? Where is he?"

She pointed to her side and peered around the bush. But the street was empty. 

"Oh." She frowned. "Nevermind he is gone. What I dont understand is why was she with him. I mean, it's not hard to believe that they might be friends but friends dont make you cry. So, then why?"

"Tiger—"

"Red really isn't her color. Do you think she still hates me?"

"Uh...she?" I blinked trying to make sense of what she just said.

"Don't try to sit there and figure out what she is trying to say," a voice came from behind us. "You might have a better luck at finding the secret key at establishing world peace instead."

Neil frowned at both of us from his wheelchair.

"She said she saw Max here," I said, getting up from the sidewalk.

"She is drunk out of her wits," he muttered.

"But..." I glanced back at her and she was...counting her hair? I sighed. "You're probably right."

"I'm always right." Veronica smiled up at us.

I chuckled while I helped her get up.

"Don't laugh." She pouted.

"Why?"

"It's too sexy." She shook her head. "No laughing allowed."

What the...

Neil cleared his throat with his eyes wide. "Um, ohkaay, so I'm leaving."

"Carefull, I'll help." Veronica stumbled.

Neil rolled his eyes, "I got it."

She watched him go with a frown and I smiled. "Relax, he's got it."

I took her hand and kissed the back of it before lacing our fingers together, like two pieces of a puzzle our hands fit perfectly together.

She looked up at me with a dreamy smile, and those eyes held me captive as securely as a pair of chains.

God, I loved her.

There was no music yet we swayed, drunk on our senses, lost in each other.