005

CHAPTER FIVE ( spontaneous road trips )

CHAPTER FIVE
( spontaneous road trips )

The next day Thea and the Pogues were in their history class. She had almost forgot that they had a test today, but thankfully after being scarred for life by the movie C.H.U.D she and JJ crammed for the test the night before. She was bubbling an answer on her sheet when she heard the door open, she looked up and there was a man standing at the threshold in a crisp suit and tie.

"Mr. Sunn, can I borrow Pope for a minute?" The unknown man asked, Thea's brows knitted in confusion as she twiddled her mechanical pencil in her fingers, she looked back at JJ and Kie, the both of them looking equally as confused as she did.

Mr. Sunn walks over to the door, whispering. "We're in the middle of a test right now."

"I'm from the Vanderhost Foundation." The man spoke to the history teacher.

"Mr. Heyward, it's for you." Mr. Sunn announced to him.

Pope leaves the classroom and walks out into the hallway to talk to the suit clad man from the Vanderhost Foundation. Thea ducks her head down and goes back to her test, trying to get her focus back. But she can't help her wandering thoughts, asking over and over why Pope was being called out of class.

Moments later of bubbling answers, Pope speed walks into the room. He sits down at his desk and Thea leans over in her seat next to him, "What the hell was that about?" Pope didn't reply with words, he just holds up an envelope and shows it to her, Kie,—who is sitting behind her—and JJ who's sitting a little behind all of them in the back of the class.

"Is that the wheat symbol?" Kie asked him.

"Yeah." Pope affirmed.

"What the f—" JJ cuts himself off as Mr. Sunn looks over at him, "fu... fu... fudge?"

Thea snorts as she turned around in her seat, going back to the test infront of her that was nearly finished. For now the four of them had a class to get through, they could talk about the significance of that letter after the history class hour was up. When she finished her test she spent the rest of the hour sketching in her notepad, she realized there was something that she did whenever she would draw.

She would draw places that she went to, or something that had consumed her thoughts, and right now, that letter with the wheat symbol was all that she could think about. Was the search for the gold back on? What the hell did this letter mean? And what did it have to do with Pope?