Chapter Fifteen - Natalia

Start from the beginning

"I'm not certain of anything anymore."

They stepped out into a large room filled with shiny, hard tables and shiny, hard chairs all in neat rows.

"What is this stuff?" Jonathan asked, rapping his knuckles on the nearest table.

"Plastic," Natalia looked amused. "You don't remember plastic?"

Jonathan shook his head. "I told you. I don't remember anything."

Natalia sighed and turned to face him. "John...look at me. Do you remember me at all?"

Jonathan studied her face. She was pretty in an angular way with a defined jawline and straight nose. Her eyes truly were mesmerising and her cheeks were flushing pink under his stare. He was seized by an unexpected desire to reach out and touch her there, on her cheekbone, just beneath her eyes.

  But he didn't, because that was silly.

"I know that I knew you," he decided. "I wasn't sure about anyone else but I'm sure that I knew you."

Natalia looked away. "Sir, can I speak plainly?"

Jonathan shifted his feet. "I expect so. And you don't have to call me sir."

Natalia looked back up at him again and Jonathan nearly stepped back from the force of her gaze. "You more than knew me, John."

Jonathan was conscious of everything about her in a way that made him deeply uneasy. He coughed and took a step back.

"Did I?"

Natalia's cheeks flamed again. "Yes. I...yes. John...I...nothing."

An idea occurred to Jonathan that he hadn't previously thought of. He reached into his pocket and drew out the rose quartz stone that he had found under his pillow.

"Do you recognise this?" he asked.

Natalia's eyes lit up. "Yes! I left it there for you. I couldn't bear to think of you all alone...waking up with nothing..."

Jonathan rubbed his thumb over the polished surface. "It means something?"

Natalia gave a strange half-sob. "Yes."

Jonathan looked at her and felt...something. A flash of something, maybe a flicker, just a suggestion. He remembered the way she had looked two years ago, with a rounder face and younger eyes. He started, staring at her again.

"Natalia..."

"Come on," she said, her tone clipped. "You need to sleep."