Cufflinks or Tie?

Start from the beginning

"Why are you so late?" Ezra asked leaning on the door. "Just some work." Shaira said as she put the water bottle down. Ezra raised one of his eyebrows when he heard the term 'work'.

" By the way, shouldn't you be on the way to the restaurant?" Shaira asked successfully changing the topic.

"No, we decided to celebrate here at the last moment." Ezra said as he saw Shaira searching for something to eat.

"Okay." Shaira said as she took out some leftovers of lunch to reheat so she could eat it simultaneously chewing on a piece of bread. Ezra turned off the microwave and took half-eaten bread from Shaira's hand.

"You are dining with us."

"No" Shaira answered. She was so tired because of a such hectic day. She does not want to face any hardships like communicating with Vanidestine. "I was not asking Shay." Ezra said taking Shaira's bag off her shoulders.

"I did not want to crash your family party so please leave me alone." Shiara said annoyed. She had come to the realization that she wasn't afraid of Ezra anymore until he used that harsh tone that he used before and that thought terrifies her. This alone meant that she has started to let her guard down.

"You are not crashing a party when I am inviting you." Ezra said as he grabs Shaira's hand and pulled her toward the dining table.

"Am I not a gold-digging bitch now Ezra, when I am dining the most lavish meal I could possibly never afford in my entire life?" Shaira said her voice rigid, but her eyes were moist. The words came out of her mouth before she could suffocate them and store them in the unreachable part of her heart which seemed to be no-so-unreachable these days.

Ezra stopped as soon as Shaira spoke those words.

"Look, you would have a lot of complaints about my behavior but-"

"Complaints?" Shaira scoffed. "Are you even listening to yourself, Ezra, they are not complaints, those were harsh statements you said to me barely a month ago." Shaira said her voice heavy with emotions.

Ezra had no words to refute it. After a moment of silence. Shaira gobbled down the lump of emotions that were just waiting to come out.

"That's why I don't want to come to dinner. I don't know when you will flip out and if you do, you will have a lot of things to hurt me again." Shaira said putting her food back in the microwave.

Before Ezra could move outside the kitchen, he said," The person sitting outside had never said anything to you and trust me, he had never encouraged any of us to do what we did. Even if he does not say anything, but we know he wants you there. He would be happy if you would come there."

Shaira was left in deep silence. She sighed and moved towards the dining hall. The entire hall was lit up by golden lights with the most beautiful flowers she had ever seen. The whole family including Mr. Aestus was sitting right there.  Everyone's heads snapped toward Shaira as she got close to Dexton's chair.

"Happy Birthday Dexton." Shaira said in low voice looking downward at the shiny floor. Her hands were joined together behind her trying to subdue the nervousness. When Shaira did not hear anything, she thought she should not have done it. She closed her eyes waiting for the mean remarks or any laughing but there was nothing. That's when Dexton patted her head which made her look upwards with wide eyes. His lips curved upwards.

"Thank you, Ira."

Shaira nodded slightly embarrassed and went to sit beside Maximus. "Let's cut the cake first." Maximus said hiding a mischievous smile behind. Dexton raised an eyebrow looking at him.