Pt 3 - Your New Boss

Comenzar desde el principio

The dinner is more enjoyable than you expect.
Until you start to imagine how it would be if Henry is back into your life. You two and the twins, living together in the same house, having breakfast and dinner together, spending the weekends together on adventures. You two watching your kids growing up until they follow their dreams and the two of you grow old together, facing storms and sunny days side by side, trusting and relying on each other.
"What?" you snap when you notice Henry's staring at you from the other side of the table.
"You look so beautiful that I wish to take a picture of you to make this moment immortal".
You struggle not to feel flattered and look at your empty glass "It must be the wine. Your vision is blurred".
"Do you really like it?" he asks softly after a pause.
"What? The wine? You know this is my favourite".
He looks around "This apartment. I chose it remembering all the things you wanted for the future house we didn't manage to buy. I didn't care of adding furnitures. I added only what I thought you would like".
You narrow your eyes at him "You bought this place for yourself. Why caring of what I liked?".
"Because if it was for myself, I would be homeless and sleeping under some bridge, as I deserve, after what I did".
You sigh in disapproval "You're being too cruel to yourself".
"Am I? What punishment do you think is fit for me then? After all I did to you? To us?".
You hold his stare, then you say bluntly.
"I've seen hell because of you. I fell into depression, I had the darkest thoughts because of you. But I couldn't even afford to be that selfish because my kids had only me. They needed me, even if I was so broken. Yeah, I hoped your life was wasted as mine. But now, I'm proud of what you achieved. You already punished yourself enough. So, stop being so harsh to yourself and enjoy your new life".
You notice how his eyes are now teary after they stared at you, drinking every word from you.
He lowers them as he lowers his head, pressing a fist on his trembling lips.
You watch him in silence, letting him take his time to collect himself.
"You don't know how much your words mean to me".
"I see that" you say with a soft smile.
"So, is there a chance that you forgive me? That in my new life, I can include you?".
"As more than your employee?" you inquire.
"Yes".
You swallow hard "Do you still want me?".
"Always. It's you or I'll be lonely for the rest of my life. Just don't feel like you owe me anything. I respect your freedom. So be honest with me if you want me out of your private life".
You're not sure about what you want. "I've been pondering the idea of letting you meet our children" you admit checking his reaction.
His eyes shine with surprise and new excitement, but he doesn't overreact.
"Have you?" his voice is husky.
"Isn't it what you want?".
"Only if it's fine with you. You know how much it means to me if you and I can at least work together. I have no right to impose myself into your life" he says diplomatically.
"I'm trying to choose what's the best for them, not for me. They always suffered the lack of a paternal figure. They are growing up and when they start to compare themselves to the others, they will start to ask. I won't introduce you to them as their father. Not yet. You invited me to visit your home. I invite you to visit mine. Let's see if it can work?".
You chench your jaw after you finish your speech. You don't want to be emotional in front of him. And he's struggling too.
"Suddenly I feel like the luckiest man again, after all these years. Are you sure?".
You stand up, although your legs feel like jelly.
"You earned it, Henry. Thank you for your patience with me".
He imitates you and then walks closer to you, his shining blue eyes never leaving yours.
"You never need to thank me for anything. I owe you so much. I...".
You see him hesitate and close his mouth.
"What?" you encourage him.
He swallows and wipes a hand on his face, trying to fight back the tears in his eyes "I'm sorry".
"What for?".
"Just being emotional" he smiles nervously.
"What were you about to say?" you ask softly.
"I don't want to overstep".
"I insist. Can we be truly honest?".
He breathes deeply, staring at you lile fearing to see you vanish in front of him. Then he breaks.
"I never stopped loving you, Y/N. I love you so much and I realized how much only when I lost you. I just don't want to lose you again".
His words sink deeper than you want to let them.
You look at his reddened cheeks, at his slightly shaking skin, at his parted lips.
"You won't lose me. If you learn to trust me and stop listening to silly gossip" you reproach him looking back into his torn eyes.
"I've learned that lesson. Your voice is all I listen to now" he assures you.
And yet he stands petrified in front of you. When you expect him to the take some initiative.
"Sometimes you're an idiot, when you treat me so delicately, instead of just taking what you want" you spit out, unable to contain your frustration anymore.
He blinks, frowning in confusion at you.
"Y/N?".
You are tired of speaking, so you shut him up pressing your lips on his.
You feel him hesitate under your touch, then he persuades himself that it's what you want and starts to kiss you back.
Damn, you missed the taste of him.
You pull him closer to you, surrendering to the familiar fire that had been cold for four years, but that suddenly was burning again.
His kiss turns demanding and passionate and you welcome him.
There's no more wrong or right.
You just want to feel alive again.