Almost.

The creature's glowing orange eyes were quick to swallow up the Scorpios's courage from afar, even if they were void of any desire to kill. His needled skin and jagged scales almost mimicked his tail had it extended longer, but he didn't look very imposing, just interested. And that alone was enough to force a thought to show; Blink expected a bit more than words from the male he nearly killed. Twice. He couldn't quite understand the raptor's kind demeanor; a splash of blood would have sufficed for any bloodthirsty predator. But not him.

"You don't look so angry..."

"Am I meant to be?"

"I would," growled Blink. The indoraptor's nares flared to taste the hybrid's scent, before letting loose a much needed sigh.

"Blame is the last thing I wish to think of," he said. "None of this was your fault or mine."

"It's too late now," Blink snarled, jaws trembling as guilt slipped from his grasp. "Doesn't matter how many times I tell myself that, I still hurt her with my claws. This was her blood... her life..."

He paused. Ripper tensed up, awaiting his next word. There was some truth in his guilt, those soft, little words of realization that still felt like fresh livewire.

Blink growled through his fangs, fresh tears welling up beneath his eyes. "I-I... n-never wanted to hurt h-her..."

Ripper closed his eyes. Silencing his breath, the raptor limped into the house, quickly finding a wall to slump against, and landing on the floor with a grunt of relief. Blink's wonder couldn't help itself; his eyes turned to his bloodied scales, maw salivating toward the strange metallic tang that the indoraptor expelled. His eyes then lifted; the thin spikes protruding from his skin were from his own tail -- he must've hurt him, too. Still, something about seeing an injured predator awakened something primal in his eyes, but Blink didn't dare give into his lust. He looked away before his mind could turn on him, refocusing on his loss and soughed.

Silence. The hybrid's head turned back around toward the indoraptor.

"How did you find me?"

"I tracked her scent," said Ripper. "But there's nothing beyond this house, so I figured you were still here."

At least I know I wasn't going crazy, Blink grumbled to himself. Eyes turning back to Ripper, he inhaled his scent to pose yet another question.

"How bad did I hurt you?"

The male snorted once, pricking the thorn off his hip. "I've been through worse."

Blink's brows raised. He took another minute to rescan the massive wounds marked on Ripper's flesh, balancing what he knew from the agile raptor to how he fought. And, for some reason, it didn't add up.

"You held back."

Ripper rumbled to himself, dropping a thorn to the ground as his two eyes went unfocused and glassy out of annoyance. Then his eyes sank; Blink could smell the emotions rising in the indoraptor's body before he shook it off, and hissed wordlessly.

"Rrr... I had a good reason to," he finally said.

Blink tilted his head. A good reason? His growing curiosity caught the wandering eye of the predator beside him, who licked his chops to continue on for his benefit. "They sent you and I to kill one another. They can't do it themselves, we both know that. But I'm not murdering one of my own for their wretched works. Not again... I'm done being their little lab puppet. And I'm done seeing my kin turn into them, too."

"Surely there's a better reason than that..." wondered the Scorpios aloud, his eyes twinkling with appreciation. Ripper turned to him and nodded.

"You still have a purpose."