#38 I'm your father

There are three memorable moments in a werwolf's life — their first transformation, the moment they find their mate, and the day they witness the crowning of their brand new Alpha.

Every generation basically gets their own Alpha. The transfer of title is also one of the most nerve-racking period in a pack.

Racketrope's town hall has been the busiest this year since decades ago. One meeting after another is held each week. 

The date has been announced. Only fourteen days are left before the fight for the title.

AFTER A PARTICULARLY exhausting training session, Nate is ready to call it a day. But the Alpha has something else on mind as he had sent a messenger to tell Nate that he is expected in the Alpha's office.

When Nate enters the familiar room, it occurs to him that most of the building is empty. And why wouldn't it be? It's pretty late in the night.

Christopher, however, has yet to cross off the most important item in his today's todo list — a one on one discussion with his eldest son. While the title fight is closing in fast, Christopher wants to clear up a few things with Nate.

"Take a seat," Christopher says.

"It's alright. Why did you ask for me?"

Christopher just looks at Nate without responding.

Nate sighs, and finally sits down.

Christopher smiles. "See? Wasn't that easy?"

"Why did you call me?" Nate says.

"As you know, the date has been announced. I wanted to know how you were doing."

"What's with the sudden concern?"

Christopher smiles again like a patient father. "So how are you doing? I heard from Ross that these days your training is going really smooth."

"Can you just stop pretending like you care?"

Christopher drops his smile. "I have always cared."

Nate crosses his arms and looks away.

Christopher continues, "I understand if you don't believe me; I wouldn't if I was in your place either. But irrespective of how you feel you have to hear this — I do care about you. And I did love your mother when we were together. After finding my mate, though, I realized your mother and I were never meant to be.

"Unfortunately, I didn't know she was pregnant with you, and neither did she. When we found out, it was too late. But I was still determined to be there for you as your father. However, your mother grew, and rightfully so, bitter of me, especially after her own mate rejected her because she had a child with me.

"She was in a lot of pain. A pain I couldn't help her with. In return she kept you from me. I don't resent her for it. But I do wish things were different, for your sake."

Nate laughs. "You are right, I don't believe any of that. All these years, I barely hear anything from you, and now you're giving me an explanation? Are you trying to find a way to change my mind about the fight with Patrick?"

"No. That's between you and him and our pack. As the current Alpha my responsibility is to only oversee it's a fair fight."

"Then why are you telling me all this now?"

Christopher gets up and walks over to Nate. He sits on the seat next to Nate's and looks into Nate's eyes. "Because you have grown up, son. You're old enough to challenge for my title. And you've matured enough to be able to understand what I'm saying. Of course, a part of you will never forgive me for not being there for you when you were little. Even so, when the time is right, I have to do my best to get close to you before it's too late."

"And you think the time before the fight for the title is the right time for that? I'm not weak enough to need your moral support," Nate says.

"Although I did think it's better to have this conversation with you before the fight, it's not because I thought that's the right time. As I told you before, you've matured now. You don't pick fights with Patrick like you used to. In fact, at occasions, you walked away from it. You are more assertive with our men. More responsible. Even Castino and Ross feel the same as me."

"Since I'm soon to be the next Alpha," Nate defiantly says, "I sure am going to act as one now."

Christopher laughs a little. Nate is confused why his father would find that amusing.

Christopher says, "There's a difference between the maturity of a man with a title, and that of a man who has found his mate."

A surprised Nate tries to stay calm. "What are you saying?"

"I'm your father, son. I can tell. Besides, Castino and Ross think the same as well."

Nate looks around him, trying to come with an answer that says his father is mistaken. But nothing comes out of his mind or mouth.

Christopher says, "I will respect your decision to keep it a secret from everyone. And I won't ask who she is, although I have an idea. I won't intrude in your privacy; I know that much as the father of two teenage sons. However, I do wish to know how you feel about her. When you become our Alpha, will she be our Luna?"

When Nate doesn't reply, Christopher calls his name.

Nate looks up at his father. "Maybe not right away, but, yes."

"So the reason you're holding it off is not just because of the title?"

"There is something that needs to be dealt with, from her past," Nate says.

"Fine. I understand. Before you leave, one last thing for me to say, well, it's more like a request. After everything is over, bring her by to see me one day. I would like to meet her."

Nate gets up. He walks to the door. Stops at the exit and says, "You said you have an idea."

"I hear the only girl around you these days is the one staying with you. I know Frank's parents very well. The only cousin he has is a nine years old boy."

Nate looks at his smiling father from the door. Christopher says, "Like I said, I won't intrude. You can tell me who she really is when you are ready."

Feeling relieved, Nate nods, and leaves. 

🗳 Don't forget to tap on the star :)