#12 Is this not enough?

Daisy turns off the hairdryer and places it on the counter. She squirts into her palm a serum and rubs her hands together before working it into her long hair.

She mutters to herself, "Like hell I was in the wrong."

She then starts to vigorously brush her hair. A knock on her door makes her stop and look back.

Nate says, "Can I come in?"

"It's your house," Daisy says, getting up and walking to the bed, "who am I to give you permission to go anywhere in here?"

Nate comes in. "I get it. I'm sorry about how I talked to you that day. That was unacceptable."

Daisy criss crosses her legs on the bed. "Then why did you do it? I know you don't like what I do for a living: you made it very clear before bringing me here. But I promised you I wouldn't cause you any trouble, and I'm keeping my promise, aren't I? Is that not enough?"

Nate quickly says, "It was not... I... I didn't doubt you, I just..." He bites his lips and looks away.

Daisy does her best to stop herself from grinning. She knows why Nate was upset when he saw her with Tim on the beach. She just wants Nate to come out and say it himself for her own amusement.

He sighs. "I just didn't like you were being close to him."

"Why not?" Daisy asks, tilting her head for an innocent effect.

"Do I have to spell everything out to you? I was jealous, okay? I hardly get to even see you these days and then there you were, having a good time with Tim."

Daisy looks down on her fingers and starts chafing her nails against each other. "...Are you saying you want to hang out with me?"

That's not what Nate meant. He just wished he would get to see her face more often. But hanging out with her and getting to know her doesn't sound that bad either. "I guess that's what I'm saying."

"Why? Because I'm your mate? Weren't you going to reject me?"

Nate walks over and sits next to Daisy on the bed. She stops playing with her nails and becomes still. He is closer now than when she taunted him in front of the sink. For reasons beyond her understanding, Daisy feels like crying.

Nate says, "When you first came here, Frank told me this was a shitty time for me to have found you. I think he's right. Sometimes I wonder how we would've been around each other if we didn't meet under the circumstances we did: me aiming for the
title and you being on the run."

Nate slowly reaches out to her lap and holds her hand.

His hand feels warm for Daisy and she looks up at him.

That feeling they both felt when she grabbed his hand at the cafe to stop him from leaving comes back to them. That electrifying and dizzying tingle.

Nate's breathing starts to become uneven. He begins to lean in towards her, and seizes her lips with his — something he dreamt a million times doing since he met her.

Daisy grabs hold of his shirt and starts kissing him back.

Their kiss is perfect, as if they have done this many times before.

Without breaking away from each other, Nate moves on top of her while she lies on the bed.

The feeling of each other's skin exhilarates them, injecting every vessel in their body with a heavy dose of unadulterated lust.

Daisy grabs his hair and he moves his lips to the crook of her neck.

And just when his teeth begins to graze her, Daisy's phone rings.

It's a phone she was expecting.

Daisy quickly gets up from under Nate and takes the call with urgency.

She carefully chooses her words to speak in the presence of Nate.

Nate sits up.

After she ends the call, Nate angrily says, "So you're still taking jobs."

"It's legal," she lies, before bitterly adding, "I still need money to find a new hideout."

Nate fists his palm. He stands up and gestures at the room. "Is this not enough?"

"I rather prefer to just hide from the Stantons than be also hidden away from my mate's pack because he's ashamed of me!"

"If that's how I really thought of you I would've rejected you on the day we met itself, even if you'd threatened to expose us."

"Am I supposed to be grateful you didn't?" she asks while glaring at Nate.

Nate presses his lips tight. "Why do you keep twisting everything I say? I'm trying to work with you here."

"Is that why you didn't tell me what you and Frank are doing these days, staying out till late?" Daisy says, finally putting words to the frustration that has been building up in her for a while.

She had been upset he didn't share with her about his assignment, something she could've helped him with and he would've by now caught all of the rogues.

But he didn't ask for her help, or even mention about it to her.

"You could've told me," Daisy says, "but I guess I'm just not important enough to share things like that — just an unwelcome house guest who will soon be gone."

"I'd already told you," Nate says, "I'll get what I want through my own hard work not by using underhanded methods."

Daisy smirks. "That's rich coming from the Alpha's illegitimate son," she says before she realized what she was saying, and immediately regrets it.

Nate steps back from her, looking both angry and in pain.

"Nate I—" Daisy begins, standing up and reaching her hand out to him, but he leaves the room before she could touch him or finish what she wanted to say.

Daisy covers her mouth with her hand. "Fuck."

What did I just say? she thinks.

It just slipped out of her mouth.

Nate walks out of the house and breaks into a run. When he's near the forest he strips and transforms, and starts running again, seeing red in his vision. He wants to run till he can't think anymore.

🗳 Please vote on chapters and leave feedbacks when possible