#17 What's the harm?

[A WEEK AGO]

"Ah!" Stella keeps moaning out as her body jerks up and down on the bed each time her partner thrusts deep into her. Her long, smooth-shaven legs are intertwined above his waist. One of her hands is tightly clutching the purple satin bed sheet, and the other is digging and pulling its fingernails against the man's back.

Even though she's already familiar with sex work, Stella is new to Madame Poppy's brothel. Just a couple of months ago she started working here.

Before this she used to work in a modeling agency that also provided a "girlfriend experience" service for some of their rich clients. Although Stella liked that work, the pay didn't seem enough. So she came over to Poppy's at an acquaintance's recommendation.

Stella hasn't had many clients yet here at Poppy's, but out of everyone she has had so far, the one inside her now is the most handsome Stella has ever seen. It was love at first sight for her.

With each thrust, Patrick wants to lose his mind and forget everything — the disappointment on his father's face, the whispers of the pack members, and the shame of having to compete with Nate.

Patrick keeps moving and shaking the bed with him. And at last he finds release.

He collapses on the bed next to Stella.

Stella isn't done yet. She moves on top and starts riding him. When she's done, too, she lies down gently next to him draping her arm across his broad chest.

When Patrick's high from the sex inevitably drops, he's back in his sour mood.

Stella has an idea of what's the reason behind Patrick's stress. She has heard the gossips from the other girls who work here. Based on what they told her so far, Stella is aware Patrick is from an affluent Alpha family. He's looking forward to take the title after his father. However, someone is in his way.

She strongly believes Patrick has nothing to worry about since he is the rightful heir to his Alpha father.

"Why does it even matter who catches the first rogue or how many? At the end of the day you're the only true heir," she says as she draws circles on Patrick's chest with the tip of her acrylic nails, trying to cheer him up.

Patrick scoffs. He thinks Stella is a fool.

Even if Nate is an illegitimate child, he has a right to compete for the title. And even though Patrick still has the advantage of his birth, Patrick knows Nate is not far behind in the race.

Nate has garnered a lot of loyal supporters in the pack over the years. Which will make it even more difficult for Patrick to win against Nate.

Unlike in the old days, a one to one combat alone is not enough for one to become an Alpha. Politics is needed, as well.

If Nate ends up catching the first rogue, a big blow like that could reduce Patrick's chance at the title considerably.

"I have to get to those mutts first no matter what," Patrick spits out. "But those dogs keep slipping through my fingers and wasting my time. Fuck those damn rogues."

Stella thinks about it. She has a thought, but she's not sure if it's a good one.

She remembers seeing Ian Stanton visiting the brothel a few days ago. Madame Poppy was a bit shaken by that, but nothing really bad happened.

Stella doesn't know what exactly Ian Stanton does, or who exactly the Stantons are, but in the few days she has been working at Madame Poppy's she knows Ian wields a lot of power in the underworld and everyone obeys him.

"You should get help from someone outside," Stella says. "Why don't you contact Ian Stanton?"

Patrick wanted to ask Stella to keep her mouth shut as he believes she's only good in the sac, not in using her brain.

As the Alpha's heir of the most prestigious pack, Patrick considers the Stantons to be the dregs of the society. They are nothing but a gang of criminal rogues Patrick hates to the core.

However, Patrick's hate for the Stantons is nothing compared to his hate for Nate.

"Why Ian Stanton?" Patrick says.

"I heard he's a big shot among the rogues," Stella says. "He was here a few days ago. Just stayed at one of the tables and talked to Madame Poppy. She seemed scared. He left, however, in a very good mood. Won't someone like him be able to find the rogues easily? He runs a gang full of them."

Patrick shifts his eyes from Stella to the gaudy ceiling above. She's not entirely wrong, or crazy. Someone like Ian indeed would have the right resources and connections to track down a rogue.

And Patrick is sure he can afford to pay for both Ian's service and his silence regarding this. Even so...

"A lowlife criminal like him can't be trusted," Patrick says.

"Even though I'm new here, I'm pretty sure I know enough to say Madame Poppy would never do business with anyone she doesn't trust," Stella confidently says. 

"Or maybe she just doesn't have a choice?" Patrick says with a smirk.

Stella lifts her chest up to look at Patrick's face. "Why don't you talk to him first and see if he can even get the job done or not? You can also see for yourself if you want to trust him."

Patrick sighs and thinks what's the harm in trying anyway? He's right now willing to do whatever it takes to beat Nate. If it means he'll have to shake hands with the likes of Ian Stanton, he'll give that a try, too. "I'll think about it," Patrick says. 

Stella is exhilarated that Patrick is considering her advice. This is the first time she has ever felt important in her life. Maybe if everything goes well, and Patrick becomes the Alpha, maybe... who knows... Stella thinks she might even have a shot at becoming a Luna.

🗳 Vote and comment ✌️