He hesitated, "Did you notice any unusual... movements in your neighborhood yesterday?"

Madison's frown deepened. She still didn't get what he was driving at, and now she was becoming more curious, "Um.. no. Nothing out of the ordinary. Why?"

Once again Alvarez was silent. As though he was thinking of something and after a few seconds, he continued, "I mean did anyone pay you a visit? Anyone at all?"

Madison frowned, sighing a little, "No, Alvarez. Nothing out of the ordinary happened and no one visited me yesterday. What are you talking about? You're asking very strange questions. Is something up?"

"No, no." He said all to quickly, expertly waving off her concerns, "Don't mind me, it's nothing. I'm just overthinking as usual. Nothing to stress about."

"Oh you know this won't work with me Alvarez. How would you just be overthinking, huh?" Madison asked, her tone laced with disbelief.

There was no way she was buying this explanation for one second, as she could feel that there was more to this. Alvarez wouldn't just call out of the blue to start asking her these kinds of questions for no reason, so she was sure something was up.

"I know you're not telling me the truth, Alvarez. You do know I can tell when you're lying, right? So don't bother. Tell me what's up."

Even after she budged him, he still continued to deny that anything was wrong, claiming that it was his mistake and a misunderstanding not something she should think much about.

Madison's eyes narrowed, her mind spinning at the same time. Just why would Alvarez ask her all these questions? What visitor could she possibly be expecting? She wondered, not until it then dawned on her.

"Wait a second. Is this about Damien? Is that the reason why you're asking all these weird questions?" She just remembered that Damien was supposed to be in London around this time, according to what Alvarez had told her before. She didn't know if he was in London yet, but she remembered Alvarez saying something like that.

When there was no reply from Alvarez, she asked again, "Tell me, is it? Do these questions have something to do with Damien? Was he supposed to visit me or something?"

She waited for a response from Alvarez that never came and when the silence lingered on for too long, he just cleared his throat and said curtly, "Just take care of yourself, Madison. Okay?"

"But..." She started to protest but he had already hung up.

Shocked, Madison stared at the screen of her blank phone. What the hell just happened?

This was the weirdest conversation she had ever had with Alvarez, and his behavior was also so strange. She also couldn't shake the feeling that this had something to do with Damien too.

She tried to remember everything that had happened yesterday, but nothing had seemed off. Everything had been pretty normal and if anyone had tried to visit her yesterday while she was at Mrs Sterling's, then she would have known.

Her and the lively neighbor had even sat outside the house because Madison wanted to keep an eye on her house, since she hadn't forgotten about the strange man and leaving her house unwatched without locking it was a bad idea. But while they sat and talked all through yesterday, nothing had seemed off, and the neighborhood had just been the same all through.

As she continued to think about it, her alarm began to ring loudly, startling her and checking her phone once, Madison realized that the call with Alvarez had taken up a huge part of her time.

She was damn late!

Cursing, she quickly ate the remaining of the now cold stale oatmeal, rushing into the kitchen to drop the bowl in the sink and then grabbing her purse. If she didn't get to move on she wouldn't reach work on time, and that was the last thing she needed today.

She quickly slipped on her shoes and raced out of the door, locking it behind her and headed off to work.

.......

Today was the first day.

The first day Damien would begin to carry out the things he had to do, in this miserable city of haunting memories. The main reason why he was in London in the first place, would begin today and he was more than ready for his revenge.

He was also prepared to get the truth out of everyone, as he definitely needed to. His destination this morning was the small city of Kettlesworth, where the Connors still lived currently.

He would start his investigations there, and hopefully come back with useful leads.

He had already informed his investigator of his plans to go to the small town today, so Mr Rudiger had arrived at the hotel early in order to run Damien through most important details one last time before he would leave, and right now as he dressed, the investigator sat in the suite going over them.

Damien nodded to everything he said, asking questions about things he wasn't sure of as well, and when he was satisfied with the answers, he walked back to the full length mirror in the room, straightening his tie and picking out the shoes he would wear.

At the same time, Mr Rudiger read out the address of the house where the Connors stayed and just like every time Damien stiffened a little. He still hated to hear about the Connors, but this time it was on a good note at least.

His plan was underway, and very soon hopefully he would get it over with as well.

As he bent down to slip on his socks and shoes, a knock sounded at his door. Giving assent, Damien looked up to see one of his guards walk in.

"Good morning, sir. The car is ready just as you instructed. The driver arrived a few minutes ago and the rest of the guards are awaiting your arrival." The guard announced, his hands placed behind him as he waited for Damien to respond.

"Good." Damien nodded, "Thank you. We'll be there presently."

With those words, he waved the guard away and continued to dress up.

Spraying a little bit of his expensive cologne and combing his hair, Damien took one last glance at the mirror, chalking his outfit and concluding that he was finally ready.

As he turned to face the investigator, another knock from someone who identified as room service resounded and the worker came in, greeting both men and carefully putting down the breakfast tray Damien had ordered for them both.

When the worker left, Damien turned to Mr Rudiger, "You're coming to Kettlesworth with me. I've thought about it, and I might require your assistance."

Mr Rudiger didn't argue, a smile on his face as he replied curtly, "Yes sir. That's not a problem."

Damien nodded and sat down on the bed.

Quickly the two men dug into the food, and sooner than later they were done.

They had a really long way to go, so as soon as they were finished, Damien checked to see if there was anything he was forgetting. Satisfied after a thorough search, he walked out of the suite, Mr Rudiger promptly by his side.

It was time finally!

.......

Thanks for reading. 💕