15 - Le Bouclier

A new day dawns at the Last City.

As the sun peaks it's face over the mountains, Frederick watches it. While Frederick watched it, Echo did as well.

Frederick sees it as a another day that he was ruler. Echo sees it as another opportunity for survival, and the chance of getting the upper hand.

It helped to be optimistic, even in times like these....and friends like these. Camille was gone, the Union was shattered. They were broken.

Her body laid in her own bed. No one knew how to properly send her off. They didn't want to bury her, no great leader deserved to have dirt lay on them.

Gate stands outside of Camille's room, staring at the closed door. He whispers to himself:

She's happy now...don't cry.

He opens the door to pay his respects privately, but sees Dolos inside.

Dolos was leaning over Camille's body, his hands pulsing with Light Energy. He was trying to heal her, but he couldn't.

"You'd think you'd be able to raise the dead with that power." Gate says softly, leaning against the wall.

Dolos looks back at him.

"Like the Traveler...."

"Yeah..like the Traveler."

Gate leans down next to Dolos, putting his hand on his shoulder.

"What are you going to do about Lynch..?" Dolos asks him.

"We're going to kill him. He will be brought to justice."

"For Camille..."

"For Camille."

Everyone stands as tall as they could in the Union Flagship bridge.

The Union were in no fighting shape. They all either got into petty fights, and some even left the camp.

Gate, Echo, Dolos and Brutus, Drifter, Kanya, Acreo, and Ikora sit down at the command table.

Gate stands up after a long silence.

"I'm going after Lynch. He has the last Fragment and he's not getting away."

"Brother....I'm not sure you understand who you're dealing with.." Drifter sits up.

"A coward? A traitor? I know the exact feeling, Drifter."

"What about after Lynch is dealt with? If the Union disbands..." Ikora also speaks up.

"Look, right now, this is not about war. This is about Camille. Lynch betrayed our trust, and he will be brought to Justice."

"Then who's going to go?" Echo asks.

"Me." Brutus stands up, she hasn't spoken a word since Camille's death.

"By yourself?"

"Yes. She was my friend."

"I'm coming with you." Gate speaks up.

"What? No." Echo replies.

"Why?"

"You're the Commande..."

"So what?! I am to bring justice to our enemies, and he is one of them. This is my duty."

Nobody says a word.

"Let's go, Brutus." Gate leaves. Brutus stands up to follow him, but is stopped by Dolos.

"Let me come with you, please..."