6 - Bodoh

"You see anything?" Echo asks Frost.

"No. It really looks clear."

"It probably isn't inside. Those things are probably waiting for us."

"Of course."

Echo turns on his comm.

"Camille, it looks relatively clear, you can move in."

They both look behind them up a hill, where an army appears from behind it, and Camille and Lynch leading them. Echo and Frost join.

Everyone moves down the hill, their footsteps deafening together.

They then stand at the large tower.

"Alright, who's going in?"

Echo stands on a large rock.

"Me, Captain Frost, Lynch, and Lynch's own battalion will enter, and find the source of the infestation. All of the rest of you will stand guard around the whole tower. Kill anything that tries to leave or enter."

Lynch gathers his battalion, the Firstblades. They were under his direct command.

Everyone slowly moves in, while Camille stays with everyone else.

The Interior of the tower was quiet, but Echo could hear the whispers on the edge of his mind, quiet.

"Wherewe going, Frost?" Lynch asks.

Frost looks at the Darkness Meter on his wrist. He rotated around the hallway.

"North, probably up." Frost replies.

"Sure. Let's go."

They all move up a set of fleshy stairs, which wrapped around the whole tower. As they climbed, they hear roars from Egregore Things.

"They finally decided to attack, get ready!"

Everyone draws their guns and aims up at the stairs, but Things blew through the wall next to them, jumping in and tackling four or five soldiers, all of them falling down the tower. The Things began to climb up the stairs after them, not above.

"Move up the stairs!"

Echo summons a wall of ice at the stairs to block off the Things, but they quickly began to decimate it.

Lynch and Frost ran up to the top of the stairs, where they got a look at the epicenter of it all, The Staff.

It was terribly surging with power, and bright as a sun.

Their distractions were cut short when the Things began pouring into the main sanctum to defend the Staff. Lynch and Frost both jump into cover, Echo and the others joined shortly after.

Camille and the others watch from the ground, they hear, at least.

"Lynch? What's going on in there?"

"We're fighting Camille... how do we deal with the staff?"

"Take it! We'll find a way to destroy it later."

Lynch looks over at Echo.

"Can you cover me?" He asks.

Echo nods and jumps up, firing Stasis in various directions, while Frost stayed close with his rifle. The rest of Firstblade stayed together as a squad.

Lynch climbs up towards the Staff as fast as he could, taking various shots. He ranked through though.

He stops in front of it, and stares into its gaze. He sees eternal death, and forever life. Darkness, in its purest form. It talked to him, it was loud.

He grabs the Staff, and begins to pull for it.

Echo looks up at him.

"Let's go! Grab it!"

Lynch hears the voices.

"Let go..."

He obeys and let's go. Echo jumps up to him as fast as he can.

"What the hell are you doing?!"

Lynch stands there still, unconscious.

The Staff begins to glow frightingly, and dissipates a dark smoke, shaking the ground.

Echo grabs Lynch and throws him on his shoulder.

"We need to go now! It's going to blow!"

Frost and Firstblade all get up and begin to run down the stairs, but they quickly collapsed, so they look out of the Tower itself, it was a long drop.

They all hook up to sturdy rocks and begin to rappel down. However, the Things fired at them from above.

Camille pulls out a sniper and orders the Union to cover the team, and they do, but multiple rappels break and men fall, including Frost.

Echo throws Stasis at Frost, covering him entirely of ice, it hurt, but it broke his fall.

Everyone runs up the hill, Echo holding Lynch on his back.

Frost looks back at the tower. At this point, the Staff's glow had created a giant spotlight in the sky.

"When is it gonna blow?" Someone asked.

Unfortunately, it didn't.

The Staff flies out of the Tower like a missile, ramming through the shield of Praeditus with ease, and it was gone.

Everyone began to cheer, but Camille wasn't convinced.

"Scout teams, send up a drone now!"

They send a heavy drone up towards the hole in shield as fast as they could.

Everyone gathers around the control screen.

The Staff was flying, and it was heading straight in the direction of Planet Earth.

Camille and Echo look at each other.

"We need to call Gate, this is bad." Echo says.