The Origins Of Henry's Forest

Based around https://youtu.be/ui6LgsSLrVo

~~~~~~~~~~

Henry and Edward had just returned to the sheds after a long day of work at the Brendam Branchline.

"Whew, boy," Henry sighed. "I thought I was gonna burst a cylinder."

"I thought I would too," chuckled Edward.

Soon, the engines were talking about the work they had gone through. With nothing else to say, Percy decided to change the subject, but Henry was far from ready for what Percy had in mind.

"Henry," he started. "I've been meaning to ask something to you."

"What is it?" replied Henry.

"I already know about the tunnel that was named after you," Percy added. "But I would like to know about how your forest got its name."

Henry was taken aback by the question, but he maintained his composure.

"Come to think of it," said Thomas. "I've always wondered about that as well."

In just seconds, the other engines were just as curious as Percy. Henry didn't know what to say, but Edward chimed in.

"Guys, please, slow down," he said to them. "Let Henry explain."

The engines stopped talking all at once, and allowed Henry to speak.

"Okay, guys," he sighed. "I'll tell you, but I suggest that you pay close attention to what I'm about to say."

And this was the story Henry told them:

{Years Ago}

Years ago, when Henry was first built, he was one of a kind. However, he was a poor steamer. His firebox was small compared to other engines, but of course, no one knew at the time. Apart from his poor performance, Henry was still kind to anyone he came across, often apologizing for any sort of mishap. As time went by, people that traveled on the railway that Henry used to work at were starting to think that steam engines are no good anymore. Henry blamed himself for giving steam engines a bad image, but his driver often told him otherwise. Soon, the railway had switched to diesel locomotives, and most of the steam engines were scrapped, while a tragic few, including Henry, were miraculously preserved, narrowly escaping the cutter's torch. However, while the few survivors were sent to other railways, nobody wanted Henry. His tender was already covered with painted words written by his driver, saying "Don't kill me", "Save me", and "I'm alive".

"Well, old boy," his driver said to him one day. "We've got some good news, and we've got some bad news."

"What is it?" asked Henry.

"The good news is we've managed to get you spared from the torch," his driver answered. "But the bad news is that, well..." He paused for a moment, before continuing. "There's nowhere I can take you. At least, not yet."

This only made Henry even more sad.

"But," his driver added. "They've given us a choice of where we can put you, until someone can have you."

This immediately caught Henry's attention.

"Do you know where you'd like to go?" his driver asked.

Henry thought of where he could go. He needed a place to stay, but no other railway wanted him. However, there was one railway that he had in mind. He wasn't sure if they wanted him, but he knew that it was his only chance to be preserved.

"Sodor," he said to his driver. "I would like to go to Sodor."

Throughout his life, Henry had heard about Sodor, and had always wanted to visit its main railway, the North Western Railway. Now, he finally has that chance.