Chapter 34

"I must confess, I wondered whether we'd see you tonight. From the stories I've heard your return to Coruscant has been just as eventful as your trip to Devaron," Palpatine said, every word painted with enough relief and happiness to seem genuine.

My spine stung with a sharp chill, but my lips curved high enough to fit the mark of a smile. "I wouldn't dream of missing this."

"And we're all the better for it, my dear," he crooned, "if only your father could have attended."

"He sends his regrets."

"Duty comes first for us after all," his expression shifted into a thoughtful look as it slid over the crowd, "it makes moments like these almost feel like a reprieve. We don't often get to be surrounded by so many friends."

I exhaled slowly. "Until the war ends I doubt anyone will truly be able to relax."

"Unfortunately I'll have to agree with you," his expression tipped into the picture of heartbreak, "no one could have foreseen this stretching out for as long as it has. We can only continue to try and stop it." He was truly an incredible actor. Every word, every expression he made emulated the image of a heavyhearted leader.

I took a shallow sip from my glass, hoping the bubble fizz would calm the sickly churn in my stomach.

"It's admirable how well you and your generation fight," his kind eyes sliced into mine. It was a careful probe for my reaction, "I've heard from Senator Amidala of your recent escapade with bounty hunters. It must have been terrifying."

I tilted my head, letting my smile press into a conceding line. "It wasn't how we expected to end the night, but we escaped nevertheless."

"There are no suspects?"

"No. Just like the other attacks against Senators, I doubt we'll find any answers soon."

"I've already spoken to Padme about it. She disagrees, but I do have resources available to assist with the investigation," he offered.

"That's kind, Chancellor," I said graciously, "but I doubt they'd make a second attempt."

"Again, I hope you're right, but it's still troubling," his features drew in, "I hope neither of you would hesitate to tell me if I can be of assistance." This show of concern was how he wormed his way into people's good gracious, gained their trust. He played the part of empathetic leader well, attentive to the troubles of the colleagues he publicly esteemed. As if, despite the divides on the Senate floor, they were all important to him. My fingers squeezed around the flute glass.

"Thank you Chancellor, but I wouldn't want to impose."

"I don't think it would be much trouble to ensure your safety, my lady," a bemused voice interjected. Palpatine's gaze shifted to a point past my shoulder, his smile stretching.

"Ah, General Skywalker," Palpatine greeted, his tone lifting, "perhaps you can help me convince the princess."

"I'm happy to try, but her highness can be resolved once she makes a choice," Anakin dipped his head in a bow. His eyes locked with mine, his grin stretching a hint wider. For once, his abrupt entrance felt like a godsend.

"That's because I carefully considered my options first," I recovered.

"A second opinion never hurts," he added, a light challenge. He didn't mind speaking comfortably in front of the Chancellor, and the old man had no problem taking a front seat to the exchange.

"You two are well acquainted then?" Palpatine probed. The assessment in that question was masked in a pleasant tone, but my insides still curled.

"My master introduced us when I was still a padawan. We've known each other a long time," Anakin explained. I forced my grin to pitch higher, silently wishing he'd shut up (and that my kyber-infused insides would get it together).