Chapter 19

After the council meeting, I was escorted to a private room for rest. The others stayed behind, probably to discuss Bane and Cato's escape, or to consider how to handle my indefinite stay at the Temple. Because it was happening. Until we had a better idea of what to do about the crystal, I was stuck here. If the circumstances were different, I would've been excited. I'd been stressed for weeks about the potential directions this fanfic would go. Now, I was in close range of so many central characters, but I had to worry about the extra special piece of mineral rock hiding somewhere in my body.

Alone in the room, I was free to stare daggers into the ceiling, mouthing a silent string of curses to the shitty bitch of an author that just had to come up with a plotline that wasn't obsessed with romantic cliches or fluffy slice-of-life drabbles. I'd been so wrong. The romance flames were completely shut off and shoved on a back burner. Instead, I was supposed to be an OC with special abilities. Except I wasn't born with anything special. I just had the special kind of stupidity that made kyber crystals a snack option.

I stalked over to the bed, grabbing one of the pillows and shoving it in my face to let out an inhuman screech. This wasn't my fault. All of it happened before I dropped into this fanfic. But there was nothing I could do about it, and the realization dropped a crushing weight of helplessness on my chest. What was I going to do? What could I actually do?

A sudden rapt at the door cut into my shrieking. I had to place the pillow back and trudge over, forcing a calm expression to fill my face just in case the walls weren't as sound proof as they looked. The attempt of composure abruptly crumbled at the sight of Obi-wan in front of my door.

Thankfully, his expression revealed no sign of hearing my momentary breakdown. "Sorry to intrude, your highness."

"Not at all." I pulled a grin, but I doubted it looked as natural as I wanted. I didn't expect to see him again so soon. And I wasn't ready.

Obi-wan's gaze shifted to the space behind me. "Is it alright if I come in?"

My hand curled tighter around the door handle. "Of course."

He stepped inside, sweeping a look over the room. I couldn't help but mimic him, if only to avoid staring. It wasn't too big or too small, the furniture and bedspread all varying shades of tan and creme white. Simple, but comfortable.

"I hope I'm not stealing someone's room," I said, a flat attempt at a joke.

"The residences are in a different area of the Temple. This is just a guest room."

That was what I was now. Not a visitor, but the unexpected guest no one asked for. I crossed my arms, staring down at the carpeted flooring. "How long do you think I'll be here?"

He turned, his features pulled into a sympathetic look. "It's hard to say. Nothing like this has ever happened before."

That was putting it lightly. Despite how normal we were trying to act, it felt like there was a neon sign with the words 'KYBER EATER' over my head. I couldn't help avoiding his eyes and he couldn't help staring, searching for the signs he'd missed.

"Is this comfortable?" He asked after a beat. I blinked, confused, "The room I mean," his gaze swept around us.

"It's great. I just wish I'd brought my things." I'd have to get my trunks, or maybe they'd just be delivered. I wasn't actually sure if they'd try to stop me from walking out the door.

"Um, it's late, but I should congratulate you. I heard you and Master Plo Koon freed Devaron," I added quickly, trying to steer the conversation elsewhere. "Minister Carvin and the others must be excited to go home."