Chapter 10

It was a twisted kind of saving grace, but the break-in managed to obliterate most of my nerves for the parade. I'd been briskly escorted to Breha, who had spiraled into a panic. Some advisors had brought up the idea of cancelling the carriage ride altogether, or at least delaying it until the bounty hunter had been captured.

I pushed against it, mostly because I was unharmed, but more from the surety that Cad Bane wouldn't be found. The moment of danger was over for tonight, but there were still events that would happen. Still, the captain of the guards wouldn't let us proceed without having a sweep down over the entire palace, then the surrounding grounds.

After that, it was a bit of a blur getting to the carriage, settling down and fixing the dishevel to my clothes. Then came the sound of trumpets and we were off, hands waving and smiles bright for the teeming lines of Alderaanians that stood along the road.

Lanterns pulsed golden orbs of light from their tall poles, while banners dyed purples, blues, and golds were hung down from building windows. Many of the procession watchers donned flower crowns made with blossoms and green leaves. Children wove between the taller observers, waving streamers or throwing fistfulls of brightly coloured confetti at the procession.

It was a little overwhelming – I'd never experienced so many eyes on me at once. They were happy, delighted by the excited air of the festival, but anxious thoughts clouded my brain, wondering whether they could tell something was wrong. Breha's eyes darted toward me more than once, as if sensing my inner turmoil. At some point, I could feel her free hand press against mine, squeezing in a silent comfort. And it helped.

We made it to the end point, one corner of a large market square lined with vendors, stalls, and marked spaces for performers and street artists. Breha made her speech, then the crowd was free to take their fill of the sights, sounds, and delights of the night. Once the square had thinned out a bit, Breha could turn to me, guiding us back for more privacy.

"We can go home now if you'd like."

I gave her an affectionate smile. "Actually, I'm going to walk around a bit."

She gestured back towards one of the guards circling the carriage. "In that case, take someone with you."

"I'll be fine," I insisted.

The fine features of Breha's face turned into a frown. "You were just attacked Havena. What if the hunter tries to come again?"

"The captain already added additional guards around the festival grounds. If I go around with one next to me, people might realize something is wrong," I pleaded, "I don't plan on going far. I just need a breather."

She still looked unhappy but she didn't try to argue. "You won't be gone long?"

"Of course," I promised.

She sighed heavily, glancing over my shoulder. "Then you should leave quickly. It looks like Merskelle is coming to have a chat," I followed her gaze, noticing the fancily dressed dignitary making his way over, the curled tips of his goatee curling with a anticipating smile.

I gave her hand a quick, grateful squeeze. "Thanks."

I set off into the crowd. It was a little difficult to do at first, a couple doe eyed stares and whispers following me. But I kept going. This wasn't the only square filled with festival activities. There were several running interconnectedly through the heart of the city. I headed to the west-side bridge, following the steady stream of people filing in and out to the next square.

It was more crowded here, the perimeter filled with performers and merchants trying to entice onlookers closer. I took a slow pace, scanning the crowd. This festival was the perfect step up for a secret meeting. Even a crummey author would know to take advantage of the situation to write a moment, maybe even a sweet moment. But where would it be? I didn't have any clues or memories to follow. I just had to find the most unobvious, obvious place.