Horror crackles on my tongue, but I cannot find a response. He lets out a low laugh. We arrive in the foyer, and I squint at the buttery light pouring in through the windows, a shift in the clouds above. The snow-tipped grass outside glimmers like a thousand stars.

A carriage awaits us in the cobbled curve before the palace steps. I glance around, half-hoping to find Ruben. The King leads me into the carriage where the four polished black horses snort and stamp their hooves. I lean into the leather of the seat, facing backwards. The King's eyes remain pinned on me as the horses jerk forward, and we move through the kingdom. I stare out of the window. My stomach gurgles and my pulse roars past my eats. The whoosh of water and the slight incline of the carriage crossing the arched bridge sends bile singing up my throat.

King Talin scrunches his nose as we clatter through the dusty Convex streets. Thin, skeletal people stinking of famine stare at the carriage, knowing the King is inside. Wide, yellowed eyes, hollow cheeks, and prominent rib bones. I almost reach across and slap the disgust from his face.

I squeeze my eyes shut for the rest of the trip. My stomach churns and tears sting. We turn down a street and a rumble of a crowd sends my eyes flying open. I stare out of the window and panic soars through my veins. We are heading down the long, dusty road towards the kingdom's gates.

The stone gates, built by our ancestors, hold the secrets of the world behind them. They blend into the rest of the stone walls encompassing the kingdom and are taller than any of the buildings. No one can see past them other than the sun, the moon, and the gods.

I climb out of the carriage with the king's breath on my neck as he follows. A hush drapes over the crowds teeming the sides of the street. Thousands of timid, scared, and anguished eyes trace King Talin's movements. And mine. My skin crawls and I resist the urge to hurl up my breakfast.

The King stalks towards the gates. His chin pokes up, chest puffed out. A shadowy scowl etched into his face. Those green eyes glint the venomous skin of a vivid forest frog. Heads bow as he passed. Women curtsey. Children hide behind their parents, mouths curled back in dread. Mothers wrap shawls around their children before themselves for the frozen air bites at the skin and trembles the marrow of bones. My nose stings and my hands are stiff as if consumed by rigour Mortis.

Terror. So tangible I can feel the weight of it on my chest, the fingernails grating along my bones.

At the end of the road, the crowds grow thicker and tighter together. I wish the ground would split and I could fall into the molten earth below. A row of Tranqs stands at the edge of the crowd closest to the gates. I recognise Ruben's distinctive helmet. Poised, dainty horns curl over his head. Face hidden behind the black-stained, bronze face shield.

I glare at him, my fingernails digging into my sweaty palms. King Talin draws to a halt, and his eyes rove over a couple of scrawny men tethered to a wooden stake with chains. I hold my breath, realising the forecast for the next few minutes. The prisoners wear tan tunics, flapping in the singing wind, and a strange look brims their blanched faces. Nonchalance despite their impending doom. One older, thinning man meets my eyes and smirks. My very soul unsettles, like seeing the moon during the day.

King Talin wastes no time. "These criminals are meeting their demise beyond the walls today," he bellows, pointing at them. He paces back and forth across the face of the gates. My heart thunders in my chest. "Only the Gods know what awaits them. Starvation, monsters, or insanity. They will soon find out."

He prowls towards the prisoners, sneering. "Do either of you have any final words to say before you meet with the Shadowteeth?" He flings the monster's name at them, spit flying.

One of them snarls and then his lip curls into a feral grin. "You're no king of mine. We were born in your world, but you will die in ours."

King Talin chuckles, unflinching. "Arrogant fool. You will never see such a day."