Chapter 13 - Forgiveness

The moonlight was creeping into their bedroom when Sarada decided to sneak in. She tip toed as softly as she could across the room to her parents bed where she could barely see their pink and black locks tossed about.

From the foot of the bed she crawled up on the outside edge of the two lumps underneath the blankets, coming to a stop and laying down once she even with her mother. To her right Sakura rolled over to face her, her green eyes squinting open.

"Hi Mama" she whispered.

Sakura responded by lifting the edge of the blanket so she could crawl underneath them with her. Once she was settled in Sakura dropped the blanket and wrapped her arm around to her daughter before going back to sleep.

When she woke a few hours later she was surprised to see she was alone in her parent's bed. The blanket was tucked around her securely, keeping her warm after her mother left. She rolled onto her back, stretching her limbs out in different directions. Their bed was much bigger than hers was, she enjoyed the space.

Yesterday's events creeped their way back into her mind, effectively ruining her morning bliss. She curled onto her side and pulled the blanket up around her. The pillow she was using smelled of Sakura, which helped comfort her slightly.

Images of her father attacking her mother were still so vivid in her mind, it was hard for her to believe it was all real.

'I know Papa answered my questions yesterday but I'm still so confused.'

She wasn't angry with him but she still felt like there was this huge distance between them. Maybe she wouldn't ever fully be able to understand why he did what he did but she wanted to.

She reached over and grabbed her glasses from the nightstand and pushed them onto her nose. There was no point for her to lay there and think about everything, she needed to get up and be proactive. She needed to speak to her mother.

She slowly descended the stairs and found her mother sitting on the couch reviewing some paperwork. It wasn't uncommon for her to bring her work home, she normally would only work on it if she was stressed.

"Good morning Sarada" Sakura said without turning around.

"Good morning" Sarada responded quietly as she turned the corner of the couch. "Working?"

"Just until you woke up" she said as she laid the file down on the table in front of her. "Did you sleep okay? You haven't snuck into our bed for a little while now."

'I hardly slept because I kept dreaming of the bridge...'

"No I slept fine. I just wanted to sleep with you" she lied. If her mother could tell she didn't make it obvious. "Where's Papa?"

"He's sitting out in the back yard. He wanted to give you some space this morning."

"Oh" was all she could say.

"So I hear that you have some questions for me?" she asked as she motioned for Sarada to come sit. Instead Sarada laid down the length of the couch with her head in Sakura's lap. Her mother began to finger comb her hair like she usually did. It wasn't too long after Sasuke came home that she caught her mother doing the same thing to him.

"Papa told me to ask you. He said you've loved him since you were five. Has he loved you that long?"

"While he didn't always show it I think there was a part of him that did, at least a little bit. It wasn't until we were 18 that he admitted it."

"And you went all that time loving Papa, even though it was one-sided love and he left the village?"

"It was hard, I won't lie. It would've been easier to give up on him but I couldn't do it. When a girl is in love for real, her feelings aren't easily changed."

Sarada's eyes were now closed and her mother continued to comb her slender fingers through her hair. It was one of Sarada's favorite things.

"How were you able to forgive him after everything he did?"

"I didn't even have to think about it. There was a moment right at the end of the war, he apologized for everything and he was so sincere. He was more emotional than I had ever seen him. And then when he left the village there was a period of time that I travelled with him, and that's how you came about" she said lovingly.

"I didn't need to know that part" Sarada mumbled which made Sakura laugh.

"When I asked Papa to show me something good that happened to him; he showed me the day I was born" she explained. "I hadn't ever seen him so happy before."

"He has a hard time showing his true feelings and emotions sometimes, and I know that can be intimidating for you, but just know that he has done whatever he can for us and he loves us both very much."

Sarada cuddled in closer to her mother and wrapped her arm around her waist. "It was really scary" she said quietly, referencing the bridge. Sakura held her close, "I know it was. But just know that that version of your father isn't who he is now."

Sarada felt the tears escape as she finally admitted her fears. She knew in her heart that he was a different person back then but it was still so scary for her to see him in that light.

"It's okay to feel the way that you do dear, but you need to face those fears and work through them."

Sarada nodded her head in agreement, "Can Papa come inside now?"

"I'll go get him." Sakura leaned forward and kissed Sarada on the head before having her sit up. Then she stood and walked outside. She reappeared a moment later with Sasuke.

He walked over to her and crouched at her feet, "Sarada, I want you to know that I would never hurt you or your mother. You are the most precious things in my life."

Sarada threw her arms around his neck and continued to cry. Sasuke knew their talk the other night hadn't resolved everything, but they were getting closer.

"Papa, there's something else I want to see" she said, her voice muffled from having her face buried in the crook of his neck. He looked to Sakura surprised. He hadn't expected her to be so eager to see more.

"And what is that?"

This was something that she had wondered since she was a little girl, something that she never thought would be possible since there were no longer any photos of them. Sasuke's words from the bridge echoed through her mind again, 'I'm all alone.'

"I want to see Grandma and Grandpa."